Grainfather Quality Control

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Robobrew seems to get good reviews..as does Brewkeg Tap selling them..
I’d agree with Clint - I used to own a GrainFather and now have a BrewZilla from BrewKegTap. The BrewZilla is great, and to be honest of a similar quality to the Grainfather but with some better thought-out features like the cam locks and false bottom. The only downside really is the position of the control unit, but that’s easily fixed by putting it on a beer crate.

Back in the day the choice was limited to a BM for those with deep pockets or a GF for those will slightly less deep pockets there are so many decent systems out there now i don't think i would be willing to wait.

Yes, when I bought my GF there wasn’t really anything else, except for big money BM.
There are tons of pros about the GF and also plenty of annoyances, like the silicone seals. Still, I’m pretty happy, several years on!

Glad i read this, i was tempted to get a GF but if they mess you around, they can certainly GF, lol, good luck

:laugh8: Well, I've asked the shop to collect it and refund me. A week later and only empty promises from GF to collect and fix it, so **** 'em.

One thing I really liked about the GF was that with a cheap add on you could brew small batches and that appeals greatly. Back to the search.

:laugh8: Well, I've asked the shop to collect it and refund me. A week later and only empty promises from GF to collect and fix it, so **** 'em.

One thing I really liked about the GF was that with a cheap add on you could brew small batches and that appeals greatly. Back to the search.

I think with the brewzilla you can basically order a second malt pipe and cut it in half.

I have a Coobra CB5 wichwas the same as the previous Klarstein with the controller built in.

Are you happy with your Coobra? Do you have a way of doing smaller (10l type size) batches with it?

Are you happy with your Coobra? Do you have a way of doing smaller (10l type size) batches with it?
The programmer has to be calibrated twice to get the timer started for the boil, in common with many similar devices. But, yes, I'm happy with it. I particularly like the anti-scorch feature and the way its pump can connect to the sparge heater for sparging. It's 45L. There is a smaller version at 35L. I've never wanted to do small batches. It is 3.3kW so will overload a 13A socket on full whack. The plug gets hot, but not too hot. But if I were buying now I would ket the Klarstein Brauheld Pro.

As you probably noticed Kelper, I just bought the Klarstein Brauheld Pro 30l myself (I do small volume brews, but often, or used to, as we struggled to drink it all when I did 23 litres at a time... lol), basically as I liked where the controller is, and the external pump... lol £404, free shipping.

As you probably noticed Kelper, I just bought the Klarstein Brauheld Pro 30l myself (I do small volume brews, but often, or used to, as we struggled to drink it all when I did 23 litres at a time... lol), basically as I liked where the controller is, and the external pump... lol £404, free shipping.
Does the timer start when water reaches 100C and does it keep a rolling boil or do you have to fiddle with the calibration?

Does the timer start when water reaches 100C and does it keep a rolling boil or do you have to fiddle with the calibration?

I'll let you know when I've used it, only came yesterday. I know I am going to have to fiddle though, as settings only go up to 100 degrees C, so going to have to calibrate it to 98 degrees to keep a rolling boil at the very least, so odds are it's going to have the same problem. They really should change it to have a boil setting on there, rather than just mash.

I can't understand how anyone can pay £650 for something with design and quality issue,eg look at the threads about seals,false bottoms, lifting grain tubes, etc etc. Buy a boiler and a separate mash tun result happiness.

I can't understand how anyone can pay £650 for something with design and quality issue,eg look at the threads about seals,false bottoms, lifting grain tubes, etc etc. Buy a boiler and a separate mash tun result happiness.

Not everybody has the space for multi vessel, and I moved from BIAB because I couldn't cope with the faff of bags, trailing cables etc any more. I didn't buy a Grainfather in the end though thanks to lack of availability.

The small annoyance of the 102/100 calibration for me is offset by having a controller that isn't in the bottom of the machine, and also having an externally mounted pump. Not to mention the anti scorch (I even built something similar when I made my DIY eBIAB rig)...

+1 for the Brewzilla from BKT- Fantastic bit of kit, and top Comms/service from Jonny at BKT-. As others have said, I don't trust/use the timer, just do manual timing, easy with stopwatch app on phone...

Back