Grainfather Reviews

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andwar

Reaction score
I am thinking of purchasing a Grainfather, mainly because there are lots of suppliers providing spare parts and upgrades for it.

I am not new to all-grain brewing but i have never used an all in one system before, there are a lot of simular machines to the Grainfather on the market but is seems that they are well supported through the community.

So has anyone got one and would it be recommended?

Many Thanks

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
I belive several of us here have one. I've had mine a few years now and really like it, but there are several cheaper alternatives on the market now which might be worth investigating before you make your decision.

I have one abs find it really good, it keeps things simple and I now create less mess.
I like the delayed start for the brew, so I can set it all up the night before, and it will be heating the water as I get up.

The only real grievance I have with it is those silicone seals.
I get them in OK, however during yesterday’s mash, when stirring the grains in the bottom seal came away. So I had to poureverything out and put it back in. One positive, I had no dough balls..... ;

Does anyone think they might upgrade the G30 anytime soon, seeing the quality of the G70 and it's design features, the central drain and filter plate design, would make a G30 with the same specs pretty hard to beat.

I belive several of us here have one. I've had mine a few years now and really like it, but there are several cheaper alternatives on the market now which might be worth investigating before you make your decision.
As Steve suggests, other systems are available, I recently bought a Brew Monk, tomorrow will be my first brew day using it, the improvements on the system caught my eye, with winter coming, which means for me indoor brewing. full report will come asap.

Thanks for the replies, I did use a Brumas system from Germany but the batch size was too large (35-40L) for me so I donated it to our local community brewery in Lewisham.

What I would like is a system with remote connectivity, so I can create the brew recipe on the computer or phone and send that to the machine then monitor the process from my office. I like the Grainfather G70 (WiFi connectivity instead of Bluetooth) but if it could do small batches (10L) that would be great. So it looks like the G30, if I can get one.

Look at the competition first as they have caught up and some passed the grain father and at less money. I always thought it was rated too high by some owners albeit a good piece of tackle there are plenty new boys on the block to look at

I have had one for years, it has the original non WiFi controller, which I have no plans to replace.
I just do full volume mashes because it saves me having to prepare sparge water, I never have a stuck mash and I only do 14L batches anyway. I have the micro pipe work but never use it.
I would recommend looking at the BrewZilla, I have some kegs and other kit from KegLand and it all looks like decent quality.
They do much the same thing, both made in China, only big difference is the WiFi controller and the counterflow chiller on the GF, both of these have their pros and cons.
One other thing, the BrewZilla comes with ball lock disconnects, this is a definate upgrade compared to the GF’s crappy recirculating pipe connections. I have actually upgraded to them on my GF.

Love my GF apart from as has been mentioned the connector fittings, exchanged for cam lock fittings and everything is dandy. Done regular checks on the mash temperature and that holds steady over 90 mins. and the counter flow chiller cools the wort to pitching temperature in around 20 mins, even less in winter.

Had a GF for a while now, current GFB0095 is currently fermenting. Good system but could be improved with a conical bottom and revised bottom & top plates.

The silicon seals on the top and bottom plate are a pain & simply don't work. I would prefer a larger diameter bottom plate that does not require a seal, perhaps with cross support so it doesn't dome under load. I do use the top plate but use it without the seal, with a ss sieve minus handle upturned over the overflow to prevent grain ingress. I was going to try a false bottom but can't find one the right diameter. Does anyone have the original larger plate they don't want?

It doesn't CIP despite their claims as it does not have a conical bottom & bottom valve so you always have to manually empty the last dregs for cleaning. I tend to have the GF tilted to transfer most wort. For true CIP I'd want a much stronger pump and a spray ball :)

Never used the GF Application in anger.

Mine has been delivered today, so watch this space; I'm new to AG so I can't compare it to a "non-all-in-one AG system", but I can share how easy it is and what the results are.

I bought it with a few if extra items, as advised by reading this and other forums, such as the micro pipework, whirlpool and aeration paddle, wortometer (although now realise I need some 8mm silicon hose, which I'm not sure I've got aheadbutt), plus the hop spider and Graincoat. I also bought a Sparge Water heater, as I'm told that will make life quicker / easier.
I'm hoping to do my first brew this weekend and will be unboxing it all this evening. Exciting times.acheers.

Water heater a good idea - mine also produces boiling water to scald fermenter & conditioning tank/keg/cask call it what you will. I did use the counterflow but changed to an immersion coil mostly because I can see how clean that is and I can't on the counterflow. I find it just as effective. Graincoat good addition, surprisingly (to me) effective but the time from sparge to boil is still quite weather ie ambient temperature impacted - not that I have actually timed the difference between a hot sunny day to a cold winter day. Once you get the hang of it it's as simple or as complicated as you want to make it.

Water heater a good idea - mine also produces boiling water to scald fermenter & conditioning tank/keg/cask call it what you will. I did use the counterflow but changed to an immersion coil mostly because I can see how clean that is and I can't on the counterflow. I find it just as effective. Graincoat good addition, surprisingly (to me) effective but the time from sparge to boil is still quite weather ie ambient temperature impacted - not that I have actually timed the difference between a hot sunny day to a cold winter day. Once you get the hang of it it's as simple or as complicated as you want to make it.
On a cold day outside, take away the Graincoat and you may struggle to get a good rolling boil.

I bought a GF when there were no other similar type systems out there, except for the quite expensive Braumeister. I've been very happy with it, except for the stupid silicone seals which do my head in.

I bought a GF when there were no other similar type systems out there, except for the quite expensive Braumeister. I've been very happy with it, except for the stupid silicone seals which do my head in.
Do you spray starsan in the grain pipe before you put the plates in?

Back