Grainfather software upgrade.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peebee

Out of Control
Reaction score
Who was using the Grainfather software (Web recipe builder, hardware control via Bluetooth mobile app) before the June update? Who's still using it after the update?

I had the old software working great, but the new software looks smashing. It is taking a while finding things, but I can connect to the Grainfather controller (Bluetooth), I can create recipes and edit hardware profiles on the Web and my phone, etc. But if I want to brew a recipe or otherwise start a session on the phone, I’m left looking at the spinning wheel and nothing happens. Is everyone experiencing this?

Screenshot_20190621-193505_Grainfather.jpg

Solved? I brew "no-sparge" with the Grainfather and the new software has a "no-sparge" option so I naturally selected it. Couldn't notice any difference, but the sparge volume box did disappear. What I hadn't realised was the "no-sparge" option delivered a kiss-of-death to the software! Remove the option (didn't do anything useful as far as I could tell) and I could create sessions. Hooray?

Except: The data entered in the mobile session has an entirely different rounding value to the Web interface (e.g. total grain weight in the Web interface is 5.41kg, and in the mobile app, 5.4kg - only 10g in this case but on some of the other parameters it made a massive difference). Rookie programmer mistake and I'm sure it will be fixed shortly?

Aaaaahh.....

Last night was the first time. I can connect but can't start a session with my phone (android). I tried my work iphone still no joy. Finally managed with an ipad. Took so long I had to heat water and start the mash manually.

This "session" business seems to be the source of all sorts of problems. You still can't start a real session on the Grainfather from an existing session so have to start one from a recipe on the mobile app. This results in dozens of useless unusable sessions accumulating which are difficult to delete, difficult to determine which are the "real" sessions so they get deleted too, and plainly not a place to store useful information you might want to review. You can't "tweak" a session on the Web interface prior to using it for real. Real "live" sessions must be started on the mobile app and any "tweaks" made real-time.

All-in-all, very pretty but nothing much changed functionally. Don't waste your time looking for better ways of doing things. Instead ignore any tempting new functionality ("things-to-come" perhaps) and waste your time looking for the new ways you always used the old software.

The Grainfather app was updated (27 June). Obviously not tried it properly yet (it's only the 28 June!). Current version is 4.0.13, I think the recommendation is get old versions updated!

The "rounding" problem didn't seem to effect the programs (be it Web or mobile app) but seemed to effect the "porting" of values between Web and app. Hopefully fixed? I also suffered with notifications I couldn't close obscuring the details I want to see, and some very dodgy Bluetooth connectivity; hopefully that's all fixed too? Thankfully you could put the mobile away and operate the controller manually (pressing buttons, I can still remember how!).

This Grainfather App upgrade is appearing to be a major foul up! Is anyone using it without issue?

The last two brews I've had to revert to "manual" - keys directly into the controller with "set" and up/down arrow keys. Fortunately Bluetooth connectivity hangs on long enough for the controller to download session data and get some "automation". Bluetooth connectivity is interrupted by regular breaks (its not weak transmission causing them) and information messages can't be got rid of so totally obscure the screen.

Screenshot_20190705-112048_Grainfather.jpg

Yep. Mines on the blink also. And have you noticed the sparge cou ter dosnt work any more. You used to be able to press up and count how many liters youve added. And its to bloody complicated. Grainfather app is simple and controls the machine. Its nice having all of thw fancy bits but, put them in a diffrent app that you can use for that purpose.

… have you noticed the sparge cou ter dosnt work any more. You used to be able to press up and count how many liters youve added. …
The beer name on that screenshot of mine is a clue (no sparge) but I'd been fascinated how that sparge counter worked … seems I needed try it to see just now. Can't imagine this is doing Grainfather any good, and with the G70 due shortly. Odd that recent history hasn't driven home the message yet - don't release untested software unless you want to suffer the consequences (dozens of forums across the world must have these threads, and all of them are distracting future buyers from buying).

The sparge counter was really usefull. When it went to sparge screen , it would say 18l ( made up amount for the padantic amongst us) then when you press the up arrow it would say sparge 1 l add 17 l so you wouldnt have to count the jugs you pour in

Latest posts

Back