Grainfather user from Bromley

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Mangold, Feb 14, 2020.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Feb 14, 2020 #1

Mangold

Mangold

Mangold

Hi all,

Was a member of another home brew forum for a while, but it seems to have lost a lot of members since I last brewed.

I am a grainfather user from Bromley. Been brewing since about 2015, but haven't brewed much in the last year due to family, work, and a gambling addiction (that only developed last April). Fortunately I have never lost more than I can afford to lose, but something needed to change.

Have knocked the gambling on its head and want to get back into brewing. I loved it, and really enjoyed it, and need to get my passion back.

Look forward to hopefully contributing something to this community.

Thanks, and happy brewing.

2. Feb 14, 2020 #2

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

Administrator. Administrator

A belated welcome to the forum.

My grandad was a gambler who couldn't resist the horses he never stopped gambling I am glad you have.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Mangold likes this.
  3. Feb 14, 2020 #3

chrisb8

chrisb8

chrisb8

Regular. Supporting Member

Well done on beating the addiction and welcome to the forum athumb..

Mangold likes this.
  4. Feb 15, 2020 #4

Pete9586

Pete9586

Pete9586

Hi Mangold, i'm just down the road in Catford. Don't know if you know that there's a home-brew shop in Brockley. He charges £20 for the day on his grandfather and has all ingredients in stock.
    I only started recently and did my first all gain BIAB on Tuesday, on the hob in a big pot. Got so frustrated with trying to control temps so went and ordered a Klarstein kettle.
    Welcome to the group.

Mangold likes this.
  5. Feb 15, 2020 #5

Winterbournebrewery

Winterbournebrewery

Winterbournebrewery

Regular.

Welcome & well done. My grandfather lost 100s of thousands on the bloody horses. Keeping brewing & have fun. The guys here are fantastic. Cheers :beer1:

Mangold likes this.
  6. Feb 15, 2020 #6

An Ankoù

An Ankoù

An Ankoù

Landlord.

Welcome Mangold.
    What sort of stuff do you like to brew and drink?

Mangold likes this.
  7. Feb 15, 2020 #7

Mangold

Mangold

Mangold

Thanks all for the welcome. My addiction to it started because I was exploiting loop holes, but it was the on line slots that were my downnfall.

I vaguely remember the Brockley shop. However when I checked prices it didn't seem that cost effective with driving and parking etc. Would you say it is reasonable. I guess for the reason you mention Pete is why I got my grainfather two years ago. Having such an automated temp control was the big sell.

Ankou, most things as long they are not above 5.5%. My best brew to date is probably Dennis Kings Galaxy Delight or Seymour's Citra Gold. I have just kegged a copy of Seirrea Nevada Pale Ale, but my keg is losing pressure. I have the ingredients for Dennis Kings Galaxy Delight ready to go. But being a garden brewer don't think I can do it today because of the weather. I really want to have a go at Randy Moshers Mint Chocolate Stout and have the life saver peppermints for it from the USA ready to go. Would also like to do a US style Wheat Ale.

Hopefully will get a brew in this week as I am a teacher and on half term. I have seen quite a few of your threads and your brew days look great!

An Ankoù likes this.
  8. Feb 15, 2020 #8

An Ankoù

An Ankoù

An Ankoù

Landlord.

Don't know either of those, but I see the Galaxy Delight is listed in Rob's Recipes at the Malt Miller so I'll have a look. I love Sierra Nevada and have got a brew planned soon.

I, too, was a teacher before taking up the more noble profession of Brewer. I'm having to knock out small 12L batches on the cooker until all this wind and rain has passed and I can knock out some decent size batches outside.

Mangold likes this.
  9. Feb 15, 2020 #9

Pete9586

Pete9586

Pete9586

Prices aren't too bad, some are quite good actually. If buying ingredients for a whole brew then it's cheaper online, but then you have to pay postage which evens it out. It's handy for me, it's only a 10 minute drive away and open 7 days a week. Free parking on the street but can busy because it's so close to the station.

That mint chocolate stout sounds good!

Mangold likes this.
  10. Feb 15, 2020 #10

An Ankoù

An Ankoù

An Ankoù

Landlord.

As much as I love reading Randy Mosher, part of the attraction (a big part) is that he's barking mad. The thought of mint chocolate stout makes my toes curl! Why not have a pint of Guinness and enjoy a bar of mint chocolate chocolate at then same time? Followed by another pint and a Caramac, yet another and a Bounty, before finishing off with a pint of Foreign Extra and a giant Mars Bar?

And then go for a curry and wash the whole lot down with a gallon of Kingfisher and a goat phaal.
    Yeah, eat your heart out, Randy. :beer1:

Mangold likes this.

Draft saved Draft deleted