GrainFather v other systems.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Braumeister really is the dogs nuts. Please stop reminding me that it exists because you'll end up costing me money!

Hi Clint.
Out of close to 40 brews, I've sparged twice and not really noticed any difference. I've got the 2015 model so not got the inbuilt cooling jacket, from the reviews that I've read they don't work very well. I use the normal lift out cooling coil although I've just had a mad splurge and bought a Blichman Therminator, yet to be tested.
I fill it and then mash in. The pump inlet is outside the malt tube and outlet pumps wort up through the mash.
I love it (that must be cos it's Valentines day).

I like the way the element is set up, no scorching like most systems, also with the wort flowing upwards I would suspect there is less chance of compaction and stuck mashes.

Y
I like the way the element is set up, no scorching like most systems, also with the wort flowing upwards I would suspect there is less chance of compaction and stuck mashes.
up no stuck mashes and I’ve never had a burning issue when mashing or boiling. And it actually has a mash rest in the mashing process where it stops the pump and allows the grain bed to settle. I won’t talk about the step mashing you can play with.....

What I have found is that with sparging with 8L I get my volumes right up to 27L post boil while achieving or beating my target OG. Rather than the 19/20L which is the norm with max grain and water.

If you get the pump out attachment you can use a therminator or an immersion chiller like I do. And you can pump the BS out to a fermenter and not have to worry about gravity.

Conversation...
Me.."I'm just going to order one of those grain father things..."
Mrs Clint (engrossed in her work "stuff"), ..."yeah ok,if you like dear. "
If I was foot loose and fancy free and not in the habit of taking advantage....

New vid on YouTube Dave Heath fitting a Robobrew V3 false bottom into his Grain father....he thinks it's a great improvement regarding filtering.

Great find Clint and to save members searching -

That looks like it would be a great improvement. Good spot @Clint .
Looked on the Kegland site and it's ony $14.95 Australian. They point you to their China website for international orders, but it seems to be for exclusively for wholesalers.
I bet if you can find one in the UK it'll be more like £40.00 - £50.00.
Edit. Alibaba have got them @ $8.58 but you have to buy 10 and then presumably add shipping.
Never used them for anything before so not sure how it works.
https://honyii.en.alibaba.com/produ...5L_GEN3_BOILER_FALSE_BOTTOM_PUMP_FILTER_.html

Last edited:
Try brewkegtap in The Uk.

Got my robobrew from them.

Alternatively just ditch your expensive grain father and Buy a robobrew ;)

Robobrew superb and the chap that supplies them is very friendly. I have done six brews since mine arrived in January and it has performed perfectly. Just don't use nasty pelleted hops as it can clog up the pump even if you use a hop spider.

Surely it's not unusable with pellets? I use a 300/400 micron filter bag for pellets and get virtually no debris in my kettle but get loads of hop aroma/bittering as expected...

In these type of systems how is the break material managed? In my kettle after chilling I let it all settle then slowly start drawing off the wort. The break compacts against the bazooka and I get very little to fv.

In these type of systems how is the break material managed? In my kettle after chilling I let it all settle then slowly start drawing off the wort. The break compacts against the bazooka and I get very little to fv.
Very similar in the Grainfather. There is a bit of dead space where the break material falls and the filter takes care any left in the wort.
I like to use leaf hops for bittering as these form a nice natural filter.

Latest posts

Back