Grainfather

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Grainfather pump is an MP10-RN pump. You can get them for about £50 including postage on Ali Express. Not sure about import tax though.

They have always been Chinese

I have a spare you can have, but postage may cost a bit. If you are interested let me know and I will get a shipping price.
I am interested please. How much would you want for it please? Thank you
Sorry for the late reply.

Last edited:
I am interested please. How much would you want for it please? Thank you
Sorry for the late reply.
I don't want any money for it, it is the MP10RN just the postage from Australia, I did use it a couple of times to see how it went pumping from the tap to the top of the Guten but it didn't have the power through a bigger dia hose.
I will go to the PO Monday and get a price for shipping.

As a point of interest I went into Keg King yesterday to get some hops and I did notice that to buy a MP10RN high temperature pump was $25 about 12.50 GBP so for some reason you guys seem to be getting touched on prices across the board over there.

I don't want any money for it, it is the MP10RN just the postage from Australia, I did use it a couple of times to see how it went pumping from the tap to the top of the Guten but it didn't have the power through a bigger dia hose.
I will go to the PO Monday and get a price for shipping.

As a point of interest I went into Keg King yesterday to get some hops and I did notice that to buy a MP10RN high temperature pump was $25 about 12.50 GBP so for some reason you guys seem to be getting touched on prices across the board over there.
Wow.... I was going to ask where you were and if local it maybe would be better if I collected it - Australia is a but of a trek though ha.
Yes I'm guessing postage will be a bit and yes we get stung, price wise quite alot over here for everything. £12:50 for the pump, that just shows how extortionate our prices are.
The pump I've been looking at getting and collecting from Nottingham the next time over that way is an upgrade to the MP10 but will be bigger, external, make the system more bulky and is £50 but maybe worth it??
I have no idea how much shipping would be from Australia but it could be quite a bit but I definitely do appreciate your offer and would be interested to see just how much it is.
Is the voltage 220v over there? It may not be suitable for our electricity supply if not?
Thank you again

Wow.... I was going to ask where you were and if local it maybe would be better if I collected it - Australia is a but of a trek though ha.
Yes I'm guessing postage will be a bit and yes we get stung, price wise quite alot over here for everything. £12:50 for the pump, that just shows how extortionate our prices are.
The pump I've been looking at getting and collecting from Nottingham the next time over that way is an upgrade to the MP10 but will be bigger, external, make the system more bulky and is £50 but maybe worth it??
I have no idea how much shipping would be from Australia but it could be quite a bit but I definitely do appreciate your offer and would be interested to see just how much it is.
Is the voltage 220v over there? It may not be suitable for our electricity supply if not?
Thank you again
Same power supply here as UK, which pump have you been looking at as an upgrade?

Same power supply here as UK, which pump have you been looking at as an upgrade?
I don't know if it has a name but it's a magnetic drive pump as per the attachment.
Magnetic-Brewery-Pump-.png

I think I may have fixed the pump today. I set my mind to it and worked backwards from where the problem starts and fingers crossed, it seems to now be working ok. Not sure I REALLY trust it 100% to do a full brew though, I suspect it may fail again right at the worst time.

I think I may have fixed the pump today. I set my mind to it and worked backwards from where the problem starts and fingers crossed, it seems to now be working ok. Not sure I REALLY trust it 100% to do a full brew though, I suspect it may fail again right at the worst time.
I would just run the pump during mash, not during the boil or even just after, if you are using it for whirl pool then just use a paddle, just as effective if not better than a whirl pool arm.
If you are interested in the pump the cost is $42 shipping to the UK about 21 GBP.

If you don't run pump during boil how do you sanitize the counterflow chiller ?
You'd need to run some sanitiser through it to sanitise it instead 🤷‍♂️. It's much easier to just follow the GF instructions and run the pump for 5 minutes at the end of the boil to sanitise it. You're going to run hot wort through the pump and CFC anyway to chill and transfer it into the fermenter anyway.

You actually only need to run the hot wort above 80celsius through the chiller, so you can do this on the way up to the boil then isolate the chiller / turn off pump near the boil and then it's all good to go at the end of the boil. That way you are good to go with a sanitised chiller at the end of the boil and not turning the pump on during the boil.

You actually only need to run the hot wort above 80celsius through the chiller, so you can do this on the way up to the boil then isolate the chiller / turn off pump near the boil and then it's all good to go at the end of the boil. That way you are good to go with a sanitised chiller at the end of the boil and not turning the pump on during the boil.
thumb.
But what do you do at the end of the boil when the wort is at 100°C and needing to be pumped through the CFC to chill it and into the fermenter?

thumb.
But what do you do at the end of the boil when the wort is at 100°C and needing to be pumped through the CFC to chill it and into the fermenter?
Once the boil is finished the element is off I then turn pump on through the chiller and back into whirlpool. It's not exposing the pump to boiling but sub boiling liquid.

If the pump dies at the end of boil stage you can always let everything cook in its own good time and syphon out when cool enough to handle. Not ideal but at least you won’t have a wasted brew

Latest posts

Back