Grainfather

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tombo

Reaction score
Hi, Not sure where I need to ask this but I am after advice on what my grainfather G30 might be worth please. The pump failed a while ago so I have been using a replacement pump and using the grainfather as a BIAB machine, using the controller to manage the mash temps etc.
I am now planning on getting a bigger version and want to know what this could be worth and hence if its worth selling or not.
It will come as just the grainfather body with the original, but failed, pump - re-attached to prevent leaks, the Bluetooth controller, the malt pipe (cant remember where I put the top and bottom screens and the overflowpipe) and the counterflow chiller.
I have also mis-placed the lid so, for the time being all that will be for sale is what is listed above.
I am located in South Yorkshire if it has a bearing on what it could be worth?
Thank you

Last edited:
I think £100-120, literally all you have is a sparge water heater without a lid, with a fancy PID controller.

I think £100-120, literally all you have is a sparge water heater without a lid, with a fancy PID controller.
Thank you for your reply and yes you are probably right.
If thats all its worth I'll keep it as a spare, either that or break it down. The body must be worth £50 to someone who's element has blown and the counterflow chiller and controller must be worth £50 each considering the cost to buy new. I'll have a think, thank you

Yes assuming your counterflow chiller is in decent nick I'd expect you'd get £60+ for that on here or possibly a bit more on eBay
Strangely I have just disconnected the pump I have been using and re-connected the original, which just used to buzz and do nothing else, and it is now working perfectly.
I have also now located the maltpipe but not the screens or overflowpipe. Perhaps it'd be wprth buying new ones and having a complete machine again 😲

I've had to remove the head of my G40 pump 2 brews in to clean as a bit of husk had got stuck in there and there was no pumping at all. Perhaps you had similar and over time this has disloged?

I've had to remove the head of my G40 pump 2 brews in to clean as a bit of husk had got stuck in there and there was no pumping at all. Perhaps you had similar and over time this has disloged?
I have stripped the pump down a number of times, the impellor was/is very clean and free of debris etc. Its now not working again but only at low temperatures. It seams to work fine at low temperatues but above around 70C it just buzzes and refuses to do anything. Perhaps that was the problem before too, I can't really remember. Anyway, the pump, it seams, is definately of no use.

Why don't you try to change the bearings? I think I bought mines for £3 each and they're SKF ones, make sure you order spares, as the one near to the magnet is tricky to seat, and they're get damaged easily.

or maybe stop messing about with the in built pump and just spend less on a proper wort pump external to the unit and use that. Far more powerful which will be more useful and potentially more tolerant to blocking. can re-purpose the in built pump to pipe work leading to a tap in the side of the unit so you have a tap that is situated below the bottom of the vessel which is much better for completely draining the unit.

or maybe stop messing about with the in built pump and just spend less on a proper wort pump external to the unit and use that. Far more powerful which will be more useful and potentially more tolerant to blocking. can re-purpose the in built pump to pipe work leading to a tap in the side of the unit so you have a tap that is situated below the bottom of the vessel which is much better for completely draining the unit.
Already on with that, I have now re-routed the piework and added a tap (one of the downsides of the grainfather) just waiting for the pump to arrive. The new one was only £50, so less than half the price of the underpowered/unreliable grainfather version.
One of the other downsides of the grainfather, in my opinion, is the lack of lifting handles on the side. Moving the unit with up to 30ltr of liquid in it, is virtually impossible so that is something else I am trying to solve.

WHen you fit your next pump use larger diameter pipes, they improve flow enormously, reduce bottlenecks for blockages as well.
Consider a three way valve or two and then you could choose to drain / pump out from the bottom hole and put a whirlpool fitting in the side of the vessel.
IMG_20210909_005212.jpgIMG_20210909_111017.jpgIMG_20220313_143253.jpg

Already on with that, I have now re-routed the piework and added a tap (one of the downsides of the grainfather) just waiting for the pump to arrive. The new one was only £50, so less than half the price of the underpowered/unreliable grainfather version.
One of the other downsides of the grainfather, in my opinion, is the lack of lifting handles on the side. Moving the unit with up to 30ltr of liquid in it, is virtually impossible so that is something else I am trying to solve.
Even if the GF had handles, it would be inadvisable to use them to lift it when full. Other manufacturers (e.g. Brewzilla) warn against this. These handles are spot welded and cannot take a lot of weight - I had one break off a GF stainless fermenter when I tried to lift it by the handles when full.

The pumps on ali express (same pumps) are cheap. What impeller have you got you could have a low temperature impeller which is plastic and not the high temperature impeller.
If you have a Chinese shop which sells all the wok's and other cooking pots usually have different sized lids. You won't be able to drill the glass lid but a stainless one you could.
The spare pump I got a few years ago was $10 about 5 GBP

Look here for ideas on moving it….

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...brewzilla-grainfather-brewtools-etc-on.98890/

The original gf pump is a copy of a very expensive industrial pump, which is food and chemical safe. I wouldn't underestimate it only because of it's flow ...

The original gf pump is a copy of a very expensive industrial pump, which is food and chemical safe. I wouldn't underestimate it only because of it's flow ...
I'm not disputing that it is a copy of another pump or that it is food, chemical or heat safe but when mine first failed I looked online to see if anyone had found a way of fixing it. It appears that ALOT of people have had similar failures with the same pump. Not a chance of me spending over £100 for another one of those pumps - I'm from Yorkshire and WILL find a way round it 😁

Mate of mine has his on a hydraulic motorbike maintenance stand. Its on casters and can be pumped up to quite a high height. No idea how much it cost but its a great bit of kit.

I'm not disputing that it is a copy of another pump or that it is food, chemical or heat safe but when mine first failed I looked online to see if anyone had found a way of fixing it. It appears that ALOT of people have had similar failures with the same pump. Not a chance of me spending over £100 for another one of those pumps - I'm from Yorkshire and WILL find a way round it 😁
I give you £15 +p&p for the broken pump if you're interested.

Latest posts

Back