Grainmaster etc Vs 3 tier system

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got the grain for my BIAB it is a 50 l brew builder pot with 5tc fittings mesh liner and BIAB bag inside. 12v pump used on a buffalo induction hob. Once back from the SIBA event next week I'm planning a day of AG / HLME brews. Two 25l no chill cubes waiting. Just finishing converting two chest freezers for FV's insulated heating. Each With fish tank heaters in slim a composer caddy that is also the blow off starsan reservoir. Pics to follow.

One thing I would say for Grainfather, is they do stand by their product. It would seem that those who have had problems with pumps, controllers etc (usually the 110v US model due to the increased amps) have been well served with Grainfather sending replacements free of charge.

So if I wanted to go for the standard 3 tier setup what kind of electric boiler would I need? I'd like to be able to brew 20 litre batches.

Yep, I think this is the big concern. At some point it will die.

That’s the only concern I have with mine but I’ll always have my biab set up when that day arrives, Grainfather is a stop gap till there’s space for 3v

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's your cooker like? I use the wok burner on my range cooker.
Just a standard hob. Problem is that I wouldn't have much space above the pot as the extraction fan on our cooker is really low. Plus, I'd like to do it in the shed/man cave!

Grainfather is a stop gap till there’s space for 3v
That's interesting, most go the other way. I swapped the homemade 3V system for the GF and haven't looked back.

Regarding the OP, I disagree with the comments about it taking the fun out of brewing. I enjoy brewing with the GF more than I ever did with the 3V stuff, and don't make the mistake of thinking that it's not "real" brewing. The GF is essentially a fancy eBIAB system, and you still have all the same steps as "normal" brewing, just made more easy. It took a couple of brews to get used to, but I've made some of my best ever beers on the GF and I don't think I'd go back to 3V any time soon.

Regarding the OP, I disagree with the comments about it taking the fun out of brewing. I enjoy brewing with the GF more than I ever did with the 3V stuff, and don't make the mistake of thinking that it's not "real" brewing. The GF is essentially a fancy eBIAB system, and you still have all the same steps as "normal" brewing, just made more easy. It took a couple of brews to get used to, but I've made some of my best ever beers on the GF and I don't think I'd go back to 3V any time soon.
Agreed, you still have to create the recipe, mash in, add the hops etc. No real “cheating” involved and it’s very enjoyable.

If you want the “bread maker” beer brewer you need one of those fully automated counter top systems, where you order a pack online, slot it in and press go, with beer coming out 2 weeks later. No fun really in that

If I understand correctly, 3V systems aren't as efficient at mashing on account of not having a recirculation pump and heater in the mash vessel. Assuming you're not going down the HERMS route that is. So this seems to be an advantage for the better all-in-one solutions.

It's the efficiency differential noticeable or quantifiable?

If I understand correctly, 3V systems aren't as efficient at mashing on account of not having a recirculation pump and heater in the mash vessel. Assuming you're not going down the HERMS route that is. So this seems to be an advantage for the better all-in-one solutions.

It's the efficiency differential noticeable or quantifiable?
My efficiency increased by about 10% or so, but that's not really much of an advantage, probably a difference of 500g or so of malt in a 20L batch.

I get excellent efficiency with BIAB in my boiler, it's just the time spent to get clearer wort that's a PITA. One day I'll install a recirculation pump, but if I had the cash to do it I'd get an all in one for sure.

Efficiency though usually comes down to process, NOT equipment, imho. My first BIAB my efficiency stank (about 60%), then I learned that my water was too alkaline, so started diluting it with water filtered with my reverse osmosis filter, and also I learned how to properly dough in and stir during the mash. I now get really rather high efficiency (usually well above 80%). When I tried less RO, my efficiency dropped again because my mash pH wasn't right once again. It's less about your equipment, more how you use it. :nod:

I have to ask myself though, what's fun about repeatedly filling a jug from the boiler tap, and slowly pouring it back into the top of your grain bag? That's what I have to do right now to get clearer wort. If I just drain the boiler, or lift the bag, it's grain flour soup in there! That's the point of the recirculation pump, it does this for you. You still need to dough in, stir the mash, drain the grain, sparge, bring to the boil, add hops etc etc. The machines don't do any of this for you, they just make a couple of the steps a bit less labour intensive.

Just got the grain for my BIAB it is a 50 l brew builder pot with 5tc fittings mesh liner and BIAB bag inside. 12v pump used on a buffalo induction hob. Once back from the SIBA event next week I'm planning a day of AG / HLME brews. Two 25l no chill cubes waiting. Just finishing converting two chest freezers for FV's insulated heating. Each With fish tank heaters in slim a composer caddy that is also the blow off starsan reservoir. Pics to follow.

What does the mesh liner look like?

What does the mesh liner look like?
32 x 35cm SS mesh basket raised up on 4 SS legs. I've got a nylon BIAB bag to line it, In theory just to get the grains out easier, but we will see next week,,, :blush:

FYI 3kw Buffalo hob can only be used with compatible pots. My BrewBuilder version was a prototype with the 5 T/C connectors. I realise now for the price I paid I was so lucky to get a such a great deal.

32 x 35cm SS mesh basket raised up on 4 SS legs. I've got a nylon BIAB bag to line it, In theory just to get the grains out easier, but we will see next week,,, :blush:

FYI 3kw Buffalo hob can only be used with compatible pots. My BrewBuilder version was a prototype with the 5 T/C connectors. I realise now for the price I paid I was so lucky to get a such a great deal.

Hi, i have only just realised what t/c clamps are. Sounds like a really good setup. I have a induction and would like to get a 70l pot to boil in (brewbuilder). I think its a very good idea to line the basket with a bag as it will make it much easier to clean. I might buy another bag to use as a hop sack to reduce dead space.

(Apologies for the hijack,,, Bashley) Trialled the TC set up and it works great with 40l in the pot. Beercat; But that would be 70kg + on your HOB and bigger diameter, You may need supports? I was worried @ 50kg,,, If you do go for the BB ind pot also check out ebay for TC fittings direct from China same quality, but some can be even cheaper!
Now trying to understand my Beersmith 2 program for my recipe. Anyone else use this?

Been checking out lots of vids on the Grainfather and I think it's for me. There's still a lot of skill involved and as I DIY a lot around the house, I can't be arsed to do the same here. Just got to find a good deal! Thanks for all the help!

You’ve made the right decision. Much more reliable that bulldog et al, just make sure you get the latest version with the connect box. It basically allows you to put all your recipes on the cloud and load them onto the control app keeping you in control. I love mine, just wish I could brew every weekend on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back