Grapefruit IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WatsonBrau

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been thinking about brewing a grapefruit IPA with the below grain bill and hop additions, I'd appreciate any feedback you could give? Thanks in advance.

Batch Size- 20L

Malt
Pale Ale- 4.2kg
Wheat Malt- 600g
Carapils- 180g

Hops
20g Chinook @ 60mins
20g Cascade @ 60mins

30g Grapefruit Peel @ 5Mins

20g Amarillo @ Whirlpool
10g Simcoe @ Whirlpool
10g Citra @ Whirlpool

40g Amarillo @ Dry Hop
20g Simcoe @ Dry Hop
20g Citra @ Dry Hop
20g Cascade @ Dry Hop

Thanks!

The basis is good but I would drop at least one of the bittering hop additions and move them to the whirlpool.
What temp and time are the whirlpool? as this will have a effect on your IBU's, if you like high IBU's don't worry but if you are bitter/IBU sensitive like me then you need to plan your whirlpool temp and time to suit.
Make sure you only use the zest of the grapefruit and no white pith as that will impart a bitter taste

Cascade give a good grapefruit taste so as The Baron said move the Cascade bittering hops to either whirlpool or dry hop so you double the quantity thumb.

The basis is good but I would drop at least one of the bittering hop additions and move them to the whirlpool.
What temp and time are the whirlpool? as this will have a effect on your IBU's, if you like high IBU's don't worry but if you are bitter/IBU sensitive like me then you need to plan your whirlpool temp and time to suit.
Make sure you only use the zest of the grapefruit and no white pith as that will impart a bitter taste
I think you're right, my IBUs were coming in at the high 40s which I was a bit concerned about. I think I'll move the cascade to whirlpool (going to WP @ 80c for 20 mins) and see how that goes. Cheers guys!

Latest posts

Back