Gravity has risen

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave p

Reaction score
Hi,
new to forum, and have a question:
2 weeks ago, i started a dark ale. og was 1.084. very fine i thought. 1 week later, it read 1.019. i was happy. 1 1/2 weeks into it it was reading 1.017. 2 weeks later it still read 1.017, so i threw it into secondary, adding raisins and spices soaked in kraken rum during the primary.
Now, 4 days into secondary, i took a reading and taste, and the gravity read 1.028.
Every post i have read says gravity cant rise??? i tested hydrometer in water and ot read1.000, so thats ok. i reread reading twice more, and sanitised hydrometer and tested directly in fermenter. Still same reading. Any ideas please?

I might also suggest that altering your thread title to something more specific may attract more members with experience in what you are asking... And welcome to the forum by the way athumb..

It can only be sugars from your additions such as the raisins as suggested above.

1084 is a high og.At 1017, this makes the brew about 8.8%, even at 1028 it will be around the 7.3% abv mark.

Did you make this brew to be so strong or are the readings out?

It is meant to be a strong brew, I plan for a strong, dark, fruity ale with plenty of spices.

I believe it would be from the raisins, I also have been considering this as a brew in the very near future, maybe the same recipe as you have seen with raisins soaked in dark rum in a stout/porter only I will be adding toasted coconut flakes. It is a high ABV but I am going to drop mine back a bit, will look forward to your feedback.

I'm not over worried as the beer tastes gorgeous , so cant be anything major. My last brew was a honey porter with coconut. I couldn't seem to find coconut essence in UK,and couldn't be arsed to grate my own, so lazily I threw in a bottle of Malibu into secondary. Absolute charm. Will definitely be doing that more often lol.

Latest posts

Back