Greetings from Birmingham - gas needed.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pstils

pstils
Reaction score
Greetings from SW Brum!

Having gone on the journey from kits to AIO electric, and updgraded bits of kit here and there, I've finally got mylsef a keg...and now I need gas, and I have no idea where to get it, so any help from any local keggers would be most welcome!

Thanks,
pstils

Best bet is to search your local area and 'cellar gas' in Google. You'll pay anything from free to £100 for the cylinder, and anything from £10 to £45 for a 6kg refill. Many cylinder hire schemes only really work well for pubs, so often better to buy.
Recently lots of co2 suppliers weren't taking in new customers if any size due to the shortage, but not sure if that has changed.

I'm in Solihull and I travel to Mere Green to get my gas from Neon Auto, an Adams Gas stockist. Can't remember the guy's name but he's always super friendly and helpful. I've had both Nitrogen and food grade CO2 from him and always been a great experience every time. I wouldn't go anywhere else now.

https://neonauto.co.uk/gas/index.html

Thanks all! I did manage to get through finally to The Beer and Gas Man, as recommended. The prices have gone up a little: I was quoted £50 for the deposit on the cylinder, £50 non-returnable on the cylinder, and £18 for 6 kg of CO2, but I haven't heard back from them yet. I can't travel far, as I don't have a car (could hire one if needed), so perhaps that's just the price for delivery.

@tigertim - what sort of price are you getting Neon Auto?

Cheers

With neon auto, the deposit on the cylinder is always refundable. Prices below.
I wanted a 6kg but the crisis meant he was completely out of stock and he only had one 3kg available. But, to be honest, it will probably last me an age; it's just worse value for money which was a bit disappointing!

They also say they will deliver within 10 miles of their premises for £8.95+VAT. I'm not sure if that would be of any use to you - B74 2UG.

1643728116899.png

Last edited:
Thanks tigertim. If the beer and gas man doesn't get back to me by the end of the week I think I'll be taking the bus out to Sutton Coldfield then. Cheers!

Another vote for Neon gas after being told by my local supplier they wouldnt take on new customers.
went to Neon last month but called him first. He was really helpful showed me the various size bottles in both co2 and 70/30 before I came away with with two bottles of co2 and a a 70/30. All bottles refundable with no rental fee and well maintained and tested before you leave

You could also try Hobby brew supply. They have a number of outlets in Birmingham, Balsall common and Coleshill. Check their website but the range of sizes in a bit more limited than Neon

Hi I’ve used Hobbybrew cylinders from an agent here in North Yorkshire but checked their website and it shows that they have Agents in Birmingham. Good luck

thanks all for your replies. I did end up going to Neon and yes - most important thing - he's a nice bloke and I will be going again, though hopefully not in a couple of weeks because I've let all my gas leak.

I didn't get any response from thebeerandgasman (texted, emailed and phoned twice), which was a shame as I think the prices would've been a little bit better, but I guess they're just really busy and don't really need another homebrewer on the books. Jespgas quoted me something extreme - like £50 for 3.5 KG not including the deposit / cylinder purchase, but would have delivered so me in SW brum. And I didn't contact hobbybrew supply - I might give them a look in future, but it does look like "car spares distribution" is my closest distributer, and they haven't got CO2 for homebrew listed on their website, so I'd have to email before confirming that's something they stock.

Long and the short of it: anyone finding this thread in 2022, in the Birmingham esp NW Birmingham area - Neonauto: Gas bottles from Neon Auto Ltd

May not be the cheapest you could find, certainly not the most expensive - somewhere towards the lower end of the middle for price as much as my limited research would suggest, but nice bloke, gave me a noob friendly run-down of the cylinder and testing for leaks, and it's Adams gas so you've got a cylinder that should be accepted at any Adams supplier (though I don't know how much that matters). Cheers all!

Latest posts

Back