Greetings from chilly Devon!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike210957

Reaction score
I'm doing my very first brew a Woodfordes wherry which is now conditioning in our garden shed.

Thing is I'm a bit worried about the temperature down there. It's currently 9.6C I will know in the morning what it goes down to overnight. Should I be thinking about a installing a green house heater to get a constant temperature?

all the best

S.

Five days may be a little shy of what you need for it to fully carb. Another five wouldn't hurt it..then stick it back in the shed. Or you could just leave it and force gas it if it's not fizzy enough to pour although there may be s tiny bit if sweetness from your unfermented priming sugar.

Five days may be a little shy of what you need for it to fully carb. Another five wouldn't hurt it..then stick it back in the shed. Or you could just leave it and force gas it if it's not fizzy enough to pour although there may be s tiny bit if sweetness from your unfermented priming sugar.
Ok thanks....a little taste might be order to check out the sweetness. If I add gas does that just sit on top of the beer to force it out?

Yeah sort of...some is absorbed into the beer. As it gets colder more is absorbed so can lower the pressure slightly. If you put too much gas in your keg will vent....this is normal and will leave what you need

Yeah sort of...some is absorbed into the beer. As it gets colder more is absorbed so can lower the pressure slightly. If you put too much gas in your keg will vent....this is normal and will leave what you need
It is a little sweet but I think I can get away with it. Lesson learned for batch 2!

No worries....if you like the taste and it's serving without glugging then leave it be. If it's glugging it means air is getting in and it'll spoil. You can just top it up with gas as needed although it will benefit from a few weeks at colder temps.

The min overnight temperature was 4.3C down the shed. So that presumably has done the yeast in.

I need to choose my next kit. So many on the market which to choose. I don't suppose there's anywhere that tells you what they come out tasting like?

My all time pub favourites are Fullers London Pride (I'm a Chiswick boy), Youngs Special, Wadworths 6X, Bass

The yeast will still be alive...it goes dormant at low temps.
I think Homebrew online had a comparison list on their website regarding what certain kits were similar to.
Yes...select standard site if on mobile,select beer kits,look at comparison list left hand side.

Latest posts

Back