Greetings from Finland!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyV8

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all.... hello from an Irish bloke now living up north in Finland. Just invested in my very first beer making kit today and can’t wait to get started.... so apologies in advance for all the stupid newbie questions I’m sure I’ll ask....

cheers!
Alan

Hi Alan, welcome to the forum.

I spent a few weeks working in Finland a few years ago, although mainly across the south, testing the electricity pylons.

Don't worry, there are no such things as stupid questions, just the occasional stupid answer.

Hello, I only just joined myself.

Isn't it constantly dark In finland at the mo?

They only have total darkness up north in Lapland.... I’m down South in Helsinki region.... sunset at the moment is about 4pm, but we’ll loose another hour morning and evening yet before we hit the shortest day. I couldn’t hack it living up north I think!! 😊

Hi all.... hello from an Irish bloke now living up north in Finland. Just invested in my very first beer making kit today and can’t wait to get started.... so apologies in advance for all the stupid newbie questions I’m sure I’ll ask....

cheers!
Alan

Welcome! Are there many Irish people in Finland? The only reason I ask if because whilst I was perusing football results last night, I saw a player in the Finland team with the surname O'Shaughnessy.

Welcome. What are you brewing? What do the Finns drink? Isn't beer ridiculously expensive up there?
Scandinavia, including Finland is definitely on my bucket list when this bloody plague lifts.

I’m starting with a Coopers Amber Ale (instead of the lager that came with the kit). I really like amber and red ales and love Christmas Ales/beers (quite popular here in the Nordics). I like the depth of flavor from all these rather than bitterness.
Finns drink a lot of beer wine and also vodka. But in the last 5-6yrs a huge number of micro-breweries have popped up but nearly all are churning out IPAs of some sort. Finns like it bitter it seems!
I’m not a fan of IPA as I find it too bitter but I recognize that will limit by brewing a bit if I don’t expand my ‘pallet’ 😊

I’m starting with a Coopers Amber Ale (instead of the lager that came with the kit). I really like amber and red ales and love Christmas Ales/beers (quite popular here in the Nordics). I like the depth of flavor from all these rather than bitterness.
Finns drink a lot of beer wine and also vodka. But in the last 5-6yrs a huge number of micro-breweries have popped up but nearly all are churning out IPAs of some sort. Finns like it bitter it seems!
I’m not a fan of IPA as I find it too bitter but I recognize that will limit by brewing a bit if I don’t expand my ‘pallet’ 😊
I disagree. No need to expand your palate. Brew the beer you like. You're the brewer. You're in control. Happy brewing. 🍺

Hi, I really like Finland, perhaps a bit further north than Helsinki though, I have had a few extended trips photographing wildlife up north on the Russian border. I enjoy the low population and nature in Finland. If only it were not such a difficult language i could easily live over there.

cheers!
Alan
Hi Alan I’m Alan Too, english but Lived in Scotland for 20+ years.
Good Luck with the brewing athumb.. the forum has been really helpful over the past couple of years since I started.

Welcome. What are you brewing? What do the Finns drink? Isn't beer ridiculously expensive up there?
Scandinavia, including Finland is definitely on my bucket list when this bloody plague lifts.
I’ve been to Norway a few times it’s not cheap there either !
I was in Tromso last year and a local brewery Graff had some good beers 🍺 most memorable ‘Dead Cat’ a Hazy DIPA wow

Oh yeah, Norway is way more expensive than Finland..... esp for booze.. you could easily pay up to €13 for a pint... im not kidding....
I remember after moving to Finland I found a pub in Helsinki city center that was serving Kilkenny. Now, I’m not a big KK fan, but I was with 2 buddies so thought I’d introduce them to it.... I nearly fell off my chair when the barman relieved me of €27 for 3 pints 😂😂

Latest posts

Back