Greg Hughes Altbier

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Planning on brewing a Greg Hughes Altbier recipe this weekend. I have a question about the amount of hops used. He suggests using 100g Spalt select for the boil, then another 100g split at the end of the boil.

Question is 100g hops at the start of the boil seems a lot. I know it is to achieve the required ibus, but why use a low AA hop rather than a lot less of a higher AA hop? I assume it is to achieve the correct flavour as well, but wondered if anyone could educate me further.

Has anyone done this brew, and how did it turn out? Happy to follow the recipe as stated, but could swap out the hops if I do it again.

Also wondered if it was worth trying first wort hopping with a proportion of the bittering addition.

Thanks

Attachments

• 16195110669058124425188153099961.jpg
    16195110669058124425188153099961.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 70
Unfortunately, I can't read the recipe, but Spalt hops are traditional for Dusseldorf Alts. If the recipe was for 19-20L then I agree, that is a lot of hops. I have brewed a few Alts with a single 100 g packet of hops, I usually add 60 g at the beginning of the boil and 15 to 20 g at both 15 mins to go and for a final steep at the end.

If the AA% was low then maybe you need more hops, but you can make a pleasant brew with just one packet. If you want a hoppier beer then by all means add a few grams of a high AA hop to the boil, but it won't be a true Dusseldorf Alt if you loose too much of the character from the Spalt hops.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I've attached a brewfather translation of the recipe. I've had to use Saaz as I couldn't get spalt. It's been scaled a bit, but pretty close to the book recipe. Maybe you can read the pdf?

Yes I could play around with the quantities and see what the impact is on bitterness.
Thanks

Attachments

• f_LUlYQLUt1OR8kZM7Ti2DNqaRxA12_Brewfather_DusseldorfAltbier_20210427.pdf
    111.6 KB · Views: 72
Well, the recipe should definitely make a hoppy and spicy Alt beer! I would usually do a Hochkurz or step mash at 63C and 71 C to ensure that it finishes fairly dry, but the rest of the recipe seems sane.

Good luck with the brew.

I’ve done it, with some tweaks. Came joint 3rd in the March freestyle.

I used 100g total for 15l

want to brew again but maltmiller don’t have spalt select in stock yet

Details here

Back