Greg Hughes American Wheat

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Following my slightly disappointing brew evening last week with an Apollo/Galaxy American IPA but missed OG by almost 10 points which is very unusual as I can't work out why I have decided to change my planned brews and slot a new one in. I was looking at the GH American Wheat which is like this:

boil 27l, batch 23l, IBU 25, OG 1.058, ABV 5.9%
----1 hr mash
Wheat 3kg
Lager malt 2.5kg
Carapils 300g
----1h10m boil
Citra 17g@70
Citra 26g @0
----
Wyeast 1010 American wheat

Which I have factored down to this for a 19l boil/15l batch based on my usual efficiency and attenuation:

boil 19l, batch 15l, IBU 25, OG 1.055, ABV 5.6%
---- 1hr mash
3kg wheat
1kg pilsner malt
---- 1hr boil
10g Citra @60
20g Citra @5
20g Citra @dry hop
-----
Safale WB-06

- I've got a higher ratio of Wheat:pilsner malt than the original as the last weissbier I had was closer to 50:50 and came out quite clear, I am looking for that soupy weiss appearance.
- I dropped the carapils since with 3kg of wheat I am not sure what it would contribute?
- I added a dry hop just to squeeze a bit more citrus in there...

Any comment, opinions, suggestions, advice, criticism? Do I need more pilsner?

I've done this a few times....as it is from the book,no changes. Why don't you try it as is...then adjust on the next brew
To get it cloudy...swirl the yeast in as you pour...

WB-06 is a German wheat beer yeast, but American Wheat Beers generally use a neutral profile yeast. It’s probably still be nice with that yeast but might not let the cottage through as much (especially as the recipe only uses 50g of it IIRC).

WB-06 is a German wheat beer yeast, but American Wheat Beers generally use a neutral profile yeast. It’s probably still be nice with that yeast but might not let the cottage through as much (especially as the recipe only uses 50g of it IIRC).

I didn't think of that, just using a "normal" yeast. I always have some US-05 laying around and I also have a packet of MJ M-54 that I don't have any plans for....
You think the WB-06 "weiss" flavours will overpower the hop flavour?

I didn't think of that, just using a "normal" yeast. I always have some US-05 laying around and I also have a packet of MJ M-54 that I don't have any plans for....
You think the WB-06 "weiss" flavours will overpower the hop flavour?
I’m not sure. I’ve made the GH recipe twice and neither time found it particularly hoppy (American wheats are meant to be “balanced” rather than hoppy I believe) so there’s a chance it might. Someone else might know better than me though.

I think your recipe might produce something more like a hopfenweisse, like a cross between a hefeweizen and an APA, rather than an American wheat.

I’m not sure. I’ve made the GH recipe twice and neither time found it particularly hoppy (American wheats are meant to be “balanced” rather than hoppy I believe) so there’s a chance it might. Someone else might know better than me though.
I was gutted when I made it, nowhere near enough hops imo
Decent beer though

1010 is the go to yeast for American hefe.

I've had success with this recipe, and indeed adapted it for a recent ElDorado American Wheat. For this style the yeast should be neutral, not the clove/banana thing that you will give from Weihenstephaner etc.

I enjoyed the hoppiness of the citra and the yummy mouthfeel from the wheat - I've always gone a bit heavier with the hops than BJCP would suggest (moderate).

Style guide here: Beer Judge Certification Program

Best wishes

Martin

Sounds like that is the way to go then. Anyone used M-54 before and think it might go alright for this one? or just stick to US-05?
I think either would be fine. A brew colleague recently brewed a bitter and twisted clone with M54, and it was very clean and successful. If you've not used it before, why not give it a go!

Do be careful with your mash though, with that much wheat malt, can get sticky.

Best wishes

MArtin

I think either would be fine. A brew colleague recently brewed a bitter and twisted clone with M54, and it was very clean and successful. If you've not used it before, why not give it a go!

Do be careful with your mash though, with that much wheat malt, can get sticky.

Best wishes

MArtin
I'm reluctant to order more than a kilo of pilsner malt as the left over will sit around for a while. But I could reduce the wheat to 2.5kg and add say Carapils or carahell (or a combo of the two) to make up the half kilo? I have some leftovers of them lying around and I'm more likely to re-use those as well.

I'm reluctant to order more than a kilo of pilsner malt as the left over will sit around for a while. But I could reduce the wheat to 2.5kg and add say Carapils or carahell (or a combo of the two) to make up the half kilo? I have some leftovers of them lying around and I'm more likely to re-use those as well.
I did an american (!) wheat yesterday with Wakatu - it was a user upper - and I used some carapils, keeping the wheat at just 50%

SOmeone in our brewclub did a beer with 100% wheat malt, and coped by having a very slack mash.

Best wishes

MArtin

I did a no boil based on this and fermented with Voss, lovely beer...
That's what I want to hear. What temp did you go for? I've got three beers finishing at 40c and was going to do the same for the wheat that's going in soon. I was going to add coriander but no peel.

I brewed this following the GH recipe but there is no head atoll. As you can see from this photo it's dead, very little carbonation.
Now I forgot to adjust the amount of priming sugar to a Whest beer so only used 1/2 of what I should but surely there should be more life than this. I bottle instead of kegging.
Any ideas of what could have gone wrong?

Attachments

• 20210724_222050.jpg
    20210724_222050.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210724_222043.jpg
    20210724_222043.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 51
I made this one and it was delicious, unfortunately a missing washer on my john guest shank adapter means that i had to clean 2/3rds of the keg out of the bottom of my keezer :(

I brewed this following the GH recipe but there is no head atoll. As you can see from this photo it's dead, very little carbonation.
Now I forgot to adjust the amount of priming sugar to a Whest beer so only used 1/2 of what I should but surely there should be more life than this. I bottle instead of kegging.
Any ideas of what could have gone wrong?

well, you admitted that you used half as much priming sugar as you should have. That’s most likely your answer right there. How long has it been in the bottles?

Four weeks in the bottle but not a trace of a head. That's a major hip-hop on my part.

Latest posts

Back