Greg Hughes Baltic Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

private4587

Reaction score
I'm about to start a GH baltic porter in my all rounder, my question is i 'm going to leave my spending valve open going to a jar with stars in as a blowoff. After how many days should i leave it before closing the valve to aid self carbonation.

I'm about to start a GH baltic porter in my all rounder, my question is i 'm going to leave my spending valve open going to a jar with stars in as a blowoff. After how many days should i leave it before closing the valve to aid self carbonation.
Depends on your yeast, are you using a lager yeast, with intentions of lagering?

yes i am using WLP 830 at 20C, i was hoping to put in my adapted KK and use with my beer engine but still awaiting parts so i will be bottling it

Why 20C is that what GH recommends?
Opps i have dropped a bollock the yeast that i have is WLP 300 and not 830 which is were i get the 20c from. Now then is OK to use this Weisbeer yeast or should i use a couple of pkts of Youngs Lager yeast

Opps i have dropped a bollock the yeast that i have is WLP 300 and not 830 which is were i get the 20c from. Now then is OK to use this Weisbeer yeast or should i use a couple of pkts of Youngs Lager yeast
I am not sure where your at, a Baltic Porter is a dark lager, that is why I asked about the yeast and lagering. I have made the Baltic Porter once, I do really like it, yet not a fan of lager. But don't despair carry on with this one as you are, you won't make an undrinkable beer. Research some recipes for a Baltic Porter, 90 minute boil and ferment low.

Using a Weissbeer yeast will give you a flavour and ester profile that is totally different from what one would expect from a Baltic Porter. I have to say that WLP830 would have been a superb choice having used it successfully myself (Wyeast 2206 is also good).

BP is one of those beers that can be brewed using a lager yeast at low temp or an ale yeast at the cool end of the scale. Either method is acceptable. However I dont see that using the WLP300 will do anything other than give you a "mixed style" beer.

Don't get me wrong....there is nothing wrong with using what you might term "non-traditional yeast" in a particular beer style....I've brewed English style ales with some of the less extreme Belgian yeasts at low temperature to control the esters....but if you are looking to brew a BP and enjoy the malt flavours of a BP then I would go for the Lager Yeast that you have.

thanks for all your comments, i have decided to go ahead with the use of the packet lager yeast and see how i get on. will save the starter that i made with my WLP 300 for my next brew a Weissbier

Latest posts

Back