Greg Hughes Belgian golden strong ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have suddenly decided to line this brew up next as it will allow me to use some of my stock of ingredients. The only thing I don't have is Tettnang hops. I do have some Sladek to use up so was wondering if they would be an acceptable substitute. They are a little bit higher alpha so would need to factor down of course. It doesn't seem to me that it's a particularly hop forward style so hoping any difference would be negligible?

Cheers,

Allan

The
Hi there,

I have suddenly decided to line this brew up next as it will allow me to use some of my stock of ingredients. The only thing I don't have is Tettnang hops. I do have some Sladek to use up so was wondering if they would be an acceptable substitute. They are a little bit higher alpha so would need to factor down of course. It doesn't seem to me that it's a particularly hop forward style so hoping any difference would be negligible?

Cheers,

Allan
The flavour profile of Sladek and Tettnang seems quite different (I've used Tettnang but not Sladek) and with it being 50-odd grams at the last 15 minutes of the boil you're going to get a distinctly different tasting beer to the style, which pretty much uses noble hops. That said, it's still likely to be delicious even if not true to style. You never know, you may stumble across a winning beer...

It's strange that the region that first used hops don't seem to have their own variety. Personally I would use East Kent Golding.

Thanks everyone, glad I asked as I kind of consider Sladek to basically be super-Saaz so didn't think it would be a big departure.
What I could do is swap them round so the Sladek goes in at the start of the boil and the Saaz is the later addition? This way any flavour impact from the Sladek should get boiled away a bit and the difference would be Saaz instead of Tettnang as the late addition?

I really don't want to have to buy any hops. To be blunt - I am only brewing this recipe now because her indoors has complained about the amount of freezer space my hops are taking up. Which made me realise I had been stock-piling a bit - about 50% half-used packets and 50% full packets that I don't even know what to do with yet! :-)

Back