Greg Hughes' Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gingerbrews

Regular.
Reaction score
I brewed the London Bitter (page 140), bottled on 2 Oct.
Opened the first one last night after 2 weeks in the warm and 2 weeks in the shed.
Problem is that although it was bright, clear and fizzy, it had no head whatsoever. Tasted good but I would have referred that it had a head.
Opened a 2nd (for sampling purposes, of course) and it was exactly the same.
Tried a different glass which I had rinsed and dried carefully.
Does anyone have any ideas?
I know it's not the end of the world, but in the eyes of anyone else drinking it, it "looks" a little lacking!

I brewed the London Bitter (page 140), bottled on 2 Oct.
Opened the first one last night after 2 weeks in the warm and 2 weeks in the shed.
Problem is that although it was bright, clear and fizzy, it had no head whatsoever. Tasted good but I would have referred that it had a head.
Opened a 2nd (for sampling purposes, of course) and it was exactly the same.
Tried a different glass which I had rinsed and dried carefully.
Does anyone have any ideas?
I know it's not the end of the world, but in the eyes of anyone else drinking it, it "looks" a little lacking!
Here’s another bitter in case you fancy a different one

5AB51A63-870F-4CAF-997F-11CFB7F5075A.jpg

No head usually means their not enough proteins in the wort to create it (unless you've used too much fairy on your glass wear). If you add some torrified wheat, wheat malt or flaked barley it should give the beer the head your after

Ahhhhhhhhhh a job for 'the syringe':mrgreen:
If it tastes good what is the worry,it's only foam!

No head usually means their not enough proteins in the wort to create it (unless you've used too much fairy on your glass wear). If you add some torrified wheat, wheat malt or flaked barley it should give the beer the head your after

Flaked barley is the answer to lack of head / mouthfeel / body, and you don't get a crappy taste or haze like wheat imparts. Betcha didn't see that coming lol!

I've brewed the same recipe but I added a small amount of black malt beacuse my brewing software same it was going to be a lot paler than I wanted, but it's almost a brown ale... oops.

Mine pours with a head but not a huge one and it does dissipate pretty quick from memory. I'm Scottish so not so familar with it but isn't there a north-south split in England for head preferences? Being a London bitter maybe it's been designed to not head as well? His Yorkshire bitter has wheat in it which would help the beer to head, in theory.

Flaked barley is the answer to lack of head / mouthfeel / body, and you don't get a crappy taste or haze like wheat imparts. Betcha didn't see that coming lol!

Gunge promoting the benefits of flaked barley, who'd of thunk it eh? :lol: Seriously though, I stuck some in my Gales bitter on your recommendation

I've brewed the same recipe but I added a small amount of black malt beacuse my brewing software same it was going to be a lot paler than I wanted, but it's almost a brown ale... oops.

Mine pours with a head but not a huge one and it does dissipate pretty quick from memory. I'm Scottish so not so familar with it but isn't there a north-south split in England for head preferences? Being a London bitter maybe it's been designed to not head as well? His Yorkshire bitter has wheat in it which would help the beer to head, in theory.

Speaking as a Northener, we definitely like a lot of head. The more head the better!
Now, back to brewing .......

My thoughts are that you might not have left it long enough, and/or sufficiently warm enough to condition.

Two weeks in the warm (how warm?), then a cold garage in the last two weeks of October, may be sufficient to give it some carbonation, but insufficient to develop a head.

Dead right re north /south thing.
Darn ere in sarf London we are used to 'Youngs' bitter having zero head:thumb::mrgreen:

Ahhhhhhhhhh a job for 'the syringe':mrgreen:
If it tastes good what is the worry,it's only foam!

I used to think that but then I read something saying the foam captures the aroma (or something like that anyway!) so it actually does make a difference to the perceived taste.

I used to think that but then I read something saying the foam captures the aroma (or something like that anyway!) so it actually does make a difference to the perceived taste.
Come and tell that to the ' youngs' drinkers down here:lol:

Latest posts

Back