Greg Hughes Black IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craftman

Reaction score
Ive just ordered supplies to brew the Back IPA recipe in "the bible" Worryingly when I plug the recipe into the grainfather app it estimates an ABV of 6.45% compared with the 5.1% quoted in the book. I don't mind a strong brew, but not sure SWMBO will be happy with 40 pints of rocket fuel. Should I adjust the recipe? or hope the app has got it wrong?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• GH Black IPA.pdf
    893 KB · Views: 152
I've just ordered supplies to brew the Back IPA recipe in "the bible" Worryingly when I plug the recipe into the grainfather app it estimates an ABV of 6.45% compared with the 5.1% quoted in the book. I don't mind a strong brew, but not sure SWMBO will be happy with 40 pints of rocket fuel. Should I adjust the recipe? or hope the app has got it wrong?
Thanks in advance
Is your efficiency set properly in Beersmith and the GF app? I always get a change in ABV when moving from Beersmith to the GF app. I largely ignore it now. Can always boil a bit longer or add water to manipulate it a bit.

I would continue on as normal. Check your preboil gravity. Then adjust your boil to suit. Use the calculator on the site. Or brew as normal and dilute to required abv or better still just tell the wife it's under 5%. 4 beers your in the business 😎

Thanks for the advice - suspect it probably is an efficiency issue.
I'll brew it as is and see how it goes

Hi Craftman

I brewed the Black IPA a little while back. Manged to get a slightly higher OG of 1.059 (book suggests 1.054) and ended up with an ABV of 5.37% which for me is perfect.

Nice pint and one that I will definately do again. Hope you enjoy yours.

Cheers Skippi, that's reassuring. I'm happy being a few points over.

Just need to decide if I do the black IPA or the European Lager next (only room in the brew fridge for one at a time)

Ive just ordered supplies to brew the Back IPA recipe in "the bible" Worryingly when I plug the recipe into the grainfather app it estimates an ABV of 6.45% compared with the 5.1% quoted in the book. I don't mind a strong brew, but not sure SWMBO will be happy with 40 pints of rocket fuel. Should I adjust the recipe? or hope the app has got it wrong?
Thanks in advance
6.45% is hardly rocket fuel territory. Most people couldn't tell the difference between two batches of the same recipe with a 1.35% alcohol swing.

Thought I'd give an update on this - bottled it today. Came out at 6.3% in the end. Looking like it'll be a nice one

Attachments

• IMG_20210401_180958.jpg
    IMG_20210401_180958.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 46
Quick update, this has been conditioning 5 weeks now, and tastes amazing - possibly my favourite brew so far.

Attachments

• IMG_20210507_212031.jpg
    IMG_20210507_212031.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 30
Back