Greg Hughes - Home Brew Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linalmeemow

Landlord.
Reaction score
Can't recommend the recipes in the Greg Hughes book highly enough. I know it's well regarded, but the handful of them that I've brewed so far have been real winners. Just tried the Black IPA after a week in the bottle and it's already carbed up and is delicious. I've done the single hop Nelson Sauvin, Belgian golden strong, wheat and oatmeal stout, and I've got the saison in the FV at the moment. Best single read I've come across for new brewers.

I got the bipa in the fv now...did you go for the full 60 ibu?

I followed the recipe to the letter, no adjustments for AA. It's bitter for sure, but the roasty malt flavours and the sweetness of the citra balances it out nicely.

I brewed the Vienna Lager yesterday and substituted the chocolate for Chateau Cafe Light 250L and is now fermenting in the fridge at 12 degrees though my mash lasted for around 31/2 hours and ended up with 21 litres at 1.060 giving around 6.3% if it goes to 1.012.First time brewing a lager so shall be interesting.

I brewed the Vienna Lager yesterday and substituted the chocolate for Chateau Cafe Light 250L and is now fermenting in the fridge at 12 degrees though my mash lasted for around 31/2 hours and ended up with 21 litres at 1.060 giving around 6.3% if it goes to 1.012.First time brewing a lager so shall be interesting.

I'm thinking of trying a lager now I've got my brewfridge set up. One of my home brew club members did a Vienna lager by the brulosophy fast lager method and it was lovely.

Nice to hear they're good, as that's one of 2 paper books I bought when I started brewing with kits. :lol: It's where I learned brewing terminology from, rather than been confused by terms such as sparging, flame out etc, which may as well have been Klingon when I first started lurking on forums.... :whistle: The other is the Graham Wheeler book, which I bought accidentally whilst trying to order the Greg Hughes on on Amazon, somehow the wrong one got ordered, honestly have no idea how so was very surprised when the Hughes one arrived...:doh: Naturally I had to then keep it and order the correct one too....:thumb:

I'm thinking of trying a lager now I've got my brewfridge set up. One of my home brew club members did a Vienna lager by the brulosophy fast lager method and it was lovely.

Funny just checked mine and although I rehydrated the yeast there's still no airlock activity although there's a fine layer of sediment on the bottom.Patience....

Ive only tried the american ipa's and they were ok but tbh I didnt think they were that great. The 60 min, american and the dipa. Its a great book thou, hoping to try some of the other stuff out later :)

Ive only tried the american ipa's and they were ok but tbh I didnt think they were that great. The 60 min, american and the dipa. Its a great book thou, hoping to try some of the other stuff out later :)

I did the American IPA and I think it requires dry hopping to get the aroma I want with this style of IPA.

I did the American IPA and I think it requires dry hopping to get the aroma I want with this style of IPA.

I have the ingredients for this so thanks for the tip, I shall dry hop with the leftover hops although I think there is just 10 g of citra left, 10g of each as a dry hop, that enough? I could extend the boil to get bittering level from less hops so as to have more left for dry hopping.

I've struggled with IPAs all round as a homebrewer which is a shame as it's the style I most wanted to get right. I've never been able to get that sharp, clean hoppiness that the commercial brewers achieve no matter how many hops I add and what techniques I use. Aroma from dry hopping is not a problem, it's the flavour that doesn't come through. I've moved towards Belgian beers as a result though with really spectacular results, so I can't complain...

I have the ingredients for this so thanks for the tip, I shall dry hop with the leftover hops although I think there is just 10 g of citra left, 10g of each as a dry hop, that enough? I could extend the boil to get bittering level from less hops so as to have more left for dry hopping.

I dry hopped the Black IPA with 40g of citra and the aroma is excellent so you should be fine.

I plan to follow the recipe....although the youngs kits dry hop with 100g with great results! Maybe next time.
I'm not sure what to do next....from the book it's either..another dry stout,Yorkshire bitter,summer ale or cascade ipa...or the devil's back bone clone. I have enough malt and hops to do the lot!

I've struggled with IPAs all round as a homebrewer which is a shame as it's the style I most wanted to get right. I've never been able to get that sharp, clean hoppiness that the commercial brewers achieve no matter how many hops I add and what techniques I use. Aroma from dry hopping is not a problem, it's the flavour that doesn't come through. I've moved towards Belgian beers as a result though with really spectacular results, so I can't complain...

Its the tail i'm currently chasing, my last few brew's are getting there finally. Oxygen is the reason, kegging and transfers under co2 have improved my beer a lot. Water treatment, mash ph level and yeast health all play a big part too.

I cooled mine to 80c before I added my flame out hops, I think if I did it again I would add hops exactly at flame out to give more bitterness.
I think the GH recipes I have done have been a little on the low bitterness side so I would up the hops a little when I do them in the future.
I'm no expert but I would want nearer 40g to dry hop with in a 23l batch.

I think the recipes are probably fine in terms of ibu...it's the drinker! I made a pale ale with around 40 ibu...fine but I do like them a bit more bitter sometimes...my mate thought it was way too much! It's like the hops...more and more please! Chilli...there's another!

I've done the American IPA, cascade pale ale and Amarillo pale and they are the best 3 beers I have done.

I also did the 60 min IPA but looks like that got an infection. Extreme astringency that's only getting worse after 4 months.

With the American IPA, I recommend lots of gypsum, it really helps the hops shine. I dont bother dry hopping this.

I've done a brew inspired by the spring beer, same malt bill but all galaxy and shouted about with additions at 60, 20, 10 and 0 mins. Brewed the Southern Brown and London Bitter as is but both with Wyeast 1099 Whitbread Ale. Both really tasty malty beers. About to do the Brown Porter probably tomorrow afternoon.

Latest posts

Back