Greg Hughes recipes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
Ive had some of my Irish Red Ale this evening. I am not sure if it’s oxidised while kegging. Has anyone else who’s brewed this found it a touch sweet?

Had an OG of 1.048 and FG of 1.010.
Used the GH recipe but swapped the recommended yeast for a kveik and added the FO hop as a dry hop for 5 days.

Not a very good brew TBH, I think I’ve messed up somewhere. Was expecting a nice dry bitter but this is a bit **** (for want of a better word)

I have brewed a few over the last couple of weeks.

Just put the English Barley Wine into the secondary, had been in primary for nearly a month. Had a quick taste, and its very nice. I forgot to take a gravity reading, but just from a quick sample I can tell it's around the 9.6% that the recipe states.

The Winter Warmer has had a couple of weeks in primary. OG was 1056, which fell bellow the expected gravity of 1062. However, as I am converting each recipe into 10L BIAB brews, I am only using the recipes as a rough guide.

I kegged and drank the American IPA, and I was a little disappointed with it. Not quite the hoppy/citrus flavours I ws expecting. However, that could be to do with my dry hopping method, I think next time I will use a weighted hop bag and see if that improves the final results.

Think might brew another one tonight, not quite sure what to go for. Currently considering the Double Dry Hopped Pale, or the ginger beer.

Not done t
Hi,
Ive had some of my Irish Red Ale this evening. I am not sure if it’s oxidised while kegging. Has anyone else who’s brewed this found it a touch sweet?

Had an OG of 1.048 and FG of 1.010.
Used the GH recipe but swapped the recommended yeast for a kveik and added the FO hop as a dry hop for 5 days.

Not a very good brew TBH, I think I’ve messed up somewhere. Was expecting a nice dry bitter but this is a bit s**t (for want of a better word)
Not done this one but I've done a couple of kviek beers...they've not turned out bad but seem a bit one dimensional...both were aipa and both have a similar orange marmalade finish...it's quite nice really and would probably be good in a bitter. Is it definitely sweetness in present sugar sweet or could it be perceived with the flavour?

Not done t

Not done this one but I've done a couple of kviek beers...they've not turned out bad but seem a bit one dimensional...both were aipa and both have a similar orange marmalade finish...it's quite nice really and would probably be good in a bitter. Is it definitely sweetness in present sugar sweet or could it be perceived with the flavour?

Sorry not been online for a couple of weeks.

Not sugar sweet, so to speak so may be the yeast.

It’s been conditioning for a couple of weeks now so may be better at the weekend.

Just tried my Yorkshire Bitter after a week in the bottle.
I must say it’s rather nice, it came out a little stronger than expected, but I will be brewing it again.
Todays brew was the Summer Ale, as I am after a lighter one for Christmas to go with the Barley Wine chaser. ;)

I'm conditioning the Winter Warmer and the Christmas Ale right now. The Winter Warmer came out at 6.3% which was due to subbing S-04 in as the yeast. The Christmas Ale is off the chart at 7.3% but that was due to user error rather than anything else.

I was a bit worried that they'd be a bit samey, but from the initial tastes they are quite distinct.

I've done this one a couple of times and both times found it a bit of a disapointment. Could be that my water profile doesn't agree with the style.
Same with the dry stout but it's excellent with Chase spring water.
I do like the northern brown and the English IPA and Black IPA.
The milk stout was absolutely gorgeous and that was with my own water which I don't understand at all. I have extremely soft water straight off the mountain.
Also done the Biere de Garde which was very good.
The heather ale was a bit disapointing.

Have just brewed the Cali Common albeit with a change to the yeast. I used CML Kentucky. Its darker than I expected but I think I am going to like this one....

3 days later the CC is almost at FG and the sample tasted nice. Very pronounced toasty/bready flavour. That wee bit of chocolate malt seems to be really coming through. Its early days and hopefully I wont **** it up between now and bottling but this seems to have real promise.

I've just taken the lid off the fermenter of GH Weissbier after 11 days and it's from 1038 down to 1002. Missed the numbers and a little less in the fermenter than I wanted but Its only my second try at BIAB so I'll take it. The yeast worked really well too considering I broke all the rules and just pitched the dry stuff straight on top.

Hopefully bottle it up tonight with 95g of priming sugar in the bottling bucket dissolved in a cup of hot water.

Tastes great out of the fermenter so looking forward to this one. Not sure about cold crashing this as I want more yeast to stick around this time to make it nice and cloudy.

About to try my third AG brew but first using my early Christmas present of a Brewzilla. Looking at the London Bitter recipe, it says only 11 litres of mash water which looks quite low. I know I need to add a bit due to the Brewzilla false bottom but Brewfather calculations suggest almost 20 litres are needed. Does anyone have any advice?

About to try my third AG brew but first using my early Christmas present of a Brewzilla. Looking at the London Bitter recipe, it says only 11 litres of mash water which looks quite low. I know I need to add a bit due to the Brewzilla false bottom but Brewfather calculations suggest almost 20 litres are needed. Does anyone have any advice?
Hi I am certainly no expert and relatively new to using a Brewzilla 35L and always followed Greg Huges water quantities to the letter this resulted in a stuck mash and difficulty in sparging. I tried a couple of extra litres of water in the mash and copious amounts of rice hulls. I then used the calculations for the GF and had a slightly better outcome . Finally the penny dropped there is 6.5 litres of liquid under the malt pipe which must be added in so I switched to using the Brewfather calculations and no more stuck mash !!!!! hope that helps

Hi I am certainly no expert and relatively new to using a Brewzilla 35L and always followed Greg Huges water quantities to the letter this resulted in a stuck mash and difficulty in sparging. I tried a couple of extra litres of water in the mash and copious amounts of rice hulls. I then used the calculations for the GF and had a slightly better outcome . Finally the penny dropped there is 6.5 litres of liquid under the malt pipe which must be added in so I switched to using the Brewfather calculations and no more stuck mash !!!!! hope that helps
Thanks. I thought as much. Will stick to Brewfather calcs and go from there.

Slightly off topic but what do you use for chiller hosing? Normal garden hose ok or should I use heat resistant like washing machine ones?

I have to report, that despite it not being my particular cup of tea, judging the GH Christmas Ale objectively it is very very good. Recommend this to anyone who likes that Christmas spice type flavour.

Not for this year though as it definitely needs some time to smooth out.

I have to report, that despite it not being my particular cup of tea, judging the GH Christmas Ale objectively it is very very good. Recommend this to anyone who likes that Christmas spice type flavour.

Brewed this recipe as my first Robobrew recipe and recently sampled it, as you say it’s not too bad at all coming from a hophead like myself. The only criticism I have is that the head doesn’t stay around despite the beer being well carbonated. But that could be for a variety of other reasons 😐

Back