Greg Hughes recipes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont really know what went wrong, but the AA of the hops I got was WAY higher than recipe and though Indid adjust, I must have made mistakes in doing so. It ended up really bitter, quite oxidized and a bit medicinal tasting.

Yeah oxygen was the main culprit as the colour way waaay darker and it just tasted stale. On the cusp of being ditch-worthy but i managed to get through them through gritted teeth. Wouldnt mind so much if I had an idea as to where I went wrong but oh well, it hasnt happened since.

@Brewnaldo

Hows that cali coming on? Looking at brewing this and poss using the CML Kentucky

Cheers

I like it. Its darker than I thought a CC should be but i cant find Anchor Steam anywhere so no point of reference for looks or taste . Pretty sure I have posted pics of it on the what are you drinking thread if you can find them.

It's definitely become a wee bit more estery as its aged, not in an unpleasant way, but I called it pretty clean early on and I wouldnt call it that now. But overall it's definitely a brew that I like. Be interested to see yours once it's done.

Edit just realised you had actually quote my pic 😂 I'm tired

I like it. Its darker than I thought a CC should be but i cant find Anchor Steam anywhere so no point of reference for looks or taste . Pretty sure I have posted pics of it on the what are you drinking thread if you can find them.

It's definitely become a wee bit more estery as its aged, not in an unpleasant way, but I called it pretty clean early on and I wouldnt call it that now. But overall it's definitely a brew that I like. Be interested to see yours once it's done.

Edit just realised you had actually quote my pic 😂 I'm tired
Anchor steam beer has an SRM of 9.

The Dubbel, sampled at bottling time today so that's out the fermenter. Nice and clear already but just look where the hydrometer is 😳

On the plus side it tastes pretty nice. Definitely yeasty, banana and fruit there.

Maybe doesnt have the mouthfeel but it's not as dry as one might assume. Fingers crossed for it conditioning out nicely.
20210204_140940.jpg

Hi All,
I admit I haven't read the whole thread and I'm rather new to brewing. As it looks Greg Hughes' recipes are highly regarded and I'm thinking of buying the book. I found 2 on amazon - this one and this one.
So, I was wondering which one is the Greg Hughes' book with recipes?
Or , maybe, there is another one I haven't found yet?

Hi All,
I admit I haven't read the whole thread and I'm rather new to brewing. As it looks Greg Hughes' recipes are highly regarded and I'm thinking of buying the book. I found 2 on amazon - this one and this one.
So, I was wondering which one is the Greg Hughes' book with recipes?
Or , maybe, there is another one I haven't found yet?
I'd get the older edition as it's much cheaper, but then I'm a tight old git.

I'd get the older edition as it's much cheaper, but then I'm a tight old git.
I was wondering a bit but then decided to buy the newer one. If there were any mistakes encountered in the first edition, they should have been fixed for the second one. That's my line of thinking.

I was wondering a bit but then decided to buy the newer one. If there were any mistakes encountered in the first edition, they should have been fixed for the second one. That's my line of thinking.

Quite a lot of extra recipes in the latest edition albeit the additional ones tend to be down the more exotic emnd of the spectrum - eg rose and hibiscus IPA; raspberry mosaic Berlinner weisse; gose etc

Just to round off the Belgian Dubbel, I would recommend this to anyone who likes a Dubbel, with the caveat that I switched the yeast to a Wyeast high gravity Belgian.

I am really enjoying this one and it hasnt had any cold conditioning at all yet, in fact it's still pretty young in the bottle but tonights wee sample is going down a treat

Grain ordered for a repeat of the 60 shilling (gift for my FiL). I hope this one will turn out better than last time when I wasnt massively impressed. Considering lobbing some honey in to the boil.....

Also ordered grain for the Saison. The only deviation from the recipe is that I am going to go with Belle Saison instead of the liquid yeast from the book. Have read good things about Belle Saison. Updates to follow (albeit over a period of several weeks, these are 2 and 3 in the queue)

Regarding the rebrew of the 60 shilling, does anyone have any thoughts on the honey, or maybe some other sugar adjunct to add a bit more caramelly flavour? Thinking about boiling down some of the wort post mash as well?

decided to buy the newer one. If there were any mistakes encountered in the first edition, they should have been fixed for the second one. That's my line of thinking.
There are tons of errors in the second edition. I might have found a few more than that thread because I went through every recipe converting to percentages and picked up a few while I was scribbling all over it.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/errata-greg-hughes-home-brew-beer-2019-edition.89222/

Ah, I hope that mine turns out well too. I was wandering: the IBUs are about 23, isn't that a bit low, even with an ale at around 4%?
How did this turn out? I've recently done the London bitter, its still conditioning now but I felt it could have done with a little more IBU's too. It was slightly sweet on first tasting, which has improved after a couple of weeks, maybe I just need to give it more time. If only.

I brewed his Czech Pilsner on 19th October, used Heritage Pilsner malt and Czech Budejovice yeast, yet somehow it finished at 1.020 and only 3.4% I cold crashed meticulously reducing temperature 2 degrees a day down to 2C then 21 days at 2C. I am not a lager drinker unless on holiday and this did dissapoint on first tasting, but having left it for 4 months it now tastes rather good and despite the 1.020 is fairly dry.

His Oatmeal Stout, I have to say is absolutely delicious with chocolate and coffee flavours coming out, it does need to be quite chilled to enjoy fully I think and I tend to drink it straight out of the fridge.

I am just reviewing what beers I may brew ready for summer.

How did this turn out? I've recently done the London bitter, its still conditioning now but I felt it could have done with a little more IBU's too. It was slightly sweet on first tasting, which has improved after a couple of weeks, maybe I just need to give it more time. If only.

I left it in all stages longer than planned: 3 weeks in primary, a month in secondary, but it should be carbed by now. I might as well try one tonight. The tester (half bottle, lot of yeast, the last bit of the fermenter) was promising.

I have the ingredients for the dry stout.

For the yeast I have either nottingham or S04. Has anyone tried either of these yeasts with this recipe or have an opinion on which would be best?

I’m guessing that it won’t make a huge difference??

Latest posts

Back