Greg Hughes recipes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just started drinking the Tin Miner's Ale which was bottled 5 weeks ago.

Far and away the best beer I have done for ages. Absolutely spot on on all counts. It wasn't to the letter; I subbed the yeast for 1469 and scaled the grain bill down to achieve 4.7%.

In 50 AG brews I've never brewed a beer with such a distinctive favour.

My dad and his mate tried a couple of bottles (this week in the garden!) and his mate said he wants me to brew him a couple of crates, result! Looks like I'd better squeeze it in to my busy brew schedule (there's another thread on that somewhere...)

I have the ingredients for the dry stout.

For the yeast I have either nottingham or S04. Has anyone tried either of these yeasts with this recipe or have an opinion on which would be best?

I’m guessing that it won’t make a huge difference??
They do give a slightly different character in a stout. Nottingham normally attenuates more than S04, so the FG may be a point or two lower - with a slightly drier flavour, I find.

Cheers. As it’s meant to be a dry stout I’ll use the Nottingham.
That’s not a problem until next week. Brewing an IPA with verdant yeast today 😀

I have the ingredients for the dry stout.

For the yeast I have either nottingham or S04. Has anyone tried either of these yeasts with this recipe or have an opinion on which would be best?

I’m guessing that it won’t make a huge difference??
Use the Nottingham mate is brilliant for stouts and an all round very decent neutral yeast that ploughs through anything you put in front of it 👍

Far and away the best beer I have done for ages. Absolutely spot on on all counts. It wasn't to the letter; I subbed the yeast for 1469 and scaled the grain bill down to achieve 4.7%.

My dad and his mate tried a couple of bottles (this week in the garden!) and his mate said he wants me to brew him a couple of crates, result! Looks like I'd better squeeze it in to my busy brew schedule (there's another thread on that somewhere...)
I’m glad to hear this 😀👍

l‘m brewing this tomorrow!

Glad to hear it, do hydrate the Nottingham yeast first , goes off like a rocket ☄️

I've been doing 8l batches from GH recipes. Since I've not tried using liquid yeasts yet, I've been subbing in what I think is an appropriate dried substitute from my limited selection. Is there anywhere a good resource comparing the liquid yeasts which he recommends with dried 'equivalents'?

I've been doing 8l batches from GH recipes. Since I've not tried using liquid yeasts yet, I've been subbing in what I think is an appropriate dried substitute from my limited selection. Is there anywhere a good resource comparing the liquid yeasts which he recommends with dried 'equivalents'?
Do you have a copy of the Bible? pp34-35 is a good place to start.

Do you have a copy of the Bible? pp34-35 is a good place to start.
Thanks, I'd seen that although not looked at it again recently. I think I'd discounted it, since it's almost all fermentis and I have almost all MJ.
Is there a fermentis to MJ comparison? Who's a good UK stockist of a wide range of fermentis?

I've just brewed GH's Russian Imperial Stout. I used Danster London ESB yeast slurry from a previous lower gravity brew. I should be able to let you know by Christmas how it worked out! 🙂
I have generally not been over impressed with liquid yeast packets or phials. They are very expensive compared to dry yeast and have resulted in some of my less satisfactory brews. So for the moment I'm back using dry yeast. I really like Nottingham. As quite a range of dry yeasts are now available I have a few in stock to try out to suit the IPA or bitter styles I generally brew.

I'm thinking about doing this one next, but wondering if the biscuit malt you use is the pre-packed Belgian stuff or is there another kind?

As far as I know biscuit malt as never going to be used as a base make, so u wouldn't be surprised if it is mostly pre-packed and pre-crushed. You don't need much of it to get the flavour. It does add something.

I'm thinking about doing this one next, but wondering if the biscuit malt you use is the pre-packed Belgian stuff or is there another kind?
I was using old stock I had from the homebrew company. Uncrushed bought in 2018.

I get most of my malts from the malt miller these days

As far as I know biscuit malt as never going to be used as a base make, so u wouldn't be surprised if it is mostly pre-packed and pre-crushed. You don't need much of it to get the flavour. It does add something.
just to reiterate what cushyno has said it is a very strong taste and a little goes a long way so be careful with your recipe amounts

just to reiterate what cushyno has said it is a very strong taste and a little goes a long way so be careful with your recipe amounts
I've only used biscuit malt once, in a single hop EKG pale ale which was the blandest effort I've yet brewed. 250g in a 23l batch. It was Belgian, pre-crushed in a 500g pack. Maybe it was old? I may get some fresh stuff.

Anyone made the GH Saison? Im doing it now. I havent had many saisons but it looks darker than I expected in the mash.

Also, the book has FG at 1.010. I am using Belle Saison, I am fully expecting that to go down further. Is low FG a charateristic of Saison? He uses a Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison. Bit surprised to see it so high in the recipe

Anyone made the GH Saison? Im doing it now. I havent had many saisons but it looks darker than I expected in the mash.

Also, the book has FG at 1.010. I am using Belle Saison, I am fully expecting that to go down further. Is low FG a charateristic of Saison? He uses a Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison. Bit surprised to see it so high in the recipe
I haven’t brewed this one but did the Biere de Garde which uses Wyeast French Saison it came down to 1.002 about 95% attenuation, and I have had similar results with Belle Saison typically 95% attenuation. I haven’t made many Saisons but my understanding is that they are supposed to be fairly dry, actually I am somewhat unsure if a Saison would ever come out as high as 1.010 (I also looked it up seems 95%+ attenuation is pretty standard for Belle Saison).

I haven’t brewed this one but did the Biere de Garde which uses Wyeast French Saison it came down to 1.002 about 95% attenuation, and I have had similar results with Belle Saison typically 95% attenuation. I haven’t made many Saisons but my understanding is that they are supposed to be fairly dry, actually I am somewhat unsure if a Saison would ever come out as high as 1.010 (I also looked it up seems 95%+ attenuation is pretty standard for Belle Saison).
When I chose to use Belle instead of wyeast it was after reading largely similar comments on here.

Wasnt sure if its specifoc to the yeast or a pre requisite of all saison yeasts.

Iv never seen a dark saison before but mine is probably going to come out about 22 ebc. I am sure it will make a nice beer but its going to end up looking like a bitter.

How spooky. I’m planning a Saison for this coming weekend. I’ve not done one before so am using GH recipe as a rough guide only as I’d prefer a simpler grist and more of a session finished beer (can’t be sinking pints of 5.6% at family BBQs).
Ive just posted in my brew day thread.

Latest posts

Back