Greg Hughes recipes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have done the following from the book.

• Brown Porter- wasn't keen on this although possibly an issue with oxidation/infection in some of the bottles.
  • Northern Brown Ale - not bad but don't think I would repeat.
  • Dry Stout- have done this twice. The first one was amazing with the only difference between the recipe using Nottingham instead of the suggested irish ale yeast. The second has only been in the bottle just over a week and used the irish ale yeast, upped the chocolate malt and reduced the boil time. Very promising after tasting one bottle. Will probably get another one on for Christmas.
  • American IPA - currently in the fermenter. Missed out one of the 10 minute additions and used us-05. This seems to be a slow burner, took around 20 hours to start fermentation and currently at 1.030 after 3 days. I hope I'm wrong but I suspect its going to stall very shortly.
I intend to do the oatmeal stout and milk stout next.
Some of these brown ales and porters with a lot of brown malt have a distinctive flavour. Interesting that only some of the bottles were "nasty" though. Did you have any gushers?
US-05 is a slow starter in my experience, too, even with a rehydrated sample. I've never known it to stall, though.

Yes, there definitely is a distinctive flavour on the brown porter and Northern brown which is not quite to my liking. I did have a few gushers on the brown porter.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the IPA but it's already slowing down.

I have done the following from the book.

• Brown Porter- wasn't keen on this although possibly an issue with oxidation/infection in some of the bottles.
  • Northern Brown Ale - not bad but don't think I would repeat.
  • Dry Stout- have done this twice. The first one was amazing with the only difference between the recipe using Nottingham instead of the suggested irish ale yeast. The second has only been in the bottle just over a week and used the irish ale yeast, upped the chocolate malt and reduced the boil time. Very promising after tasting one bottle. Will probably get another one on for Christmas.
  • American IPA - currently in the fermenter. Missed out one of the 10 minute additions and used us-05. This seems to be a slow burner, took around 20 hours to start fermentation and currently at 1.030 after 3 days. I hope I'm wrong but I suspect its going to stall very shortly.
I intend to do the oatmeal stout and milk stout next.

I can vouch for the oatmeal stout, it’s amazing.

I also made the dry stout, again with Nottingham. It was a nice beer, but I’d wager if you liked that you’ll love the oatmeal one.

I would also recommend the honey Porter, I made that a while back and it was delicious. Only thing I would do differently next time would be to add the honey later in the boil than the recommended 10 minutes.

I would also recommend the honey Porter, I made that a while back and it was delicious. Only thing I would do differently next time would be to add the honey later in the boil than the recommended 10 minutes.

If you liked the honey porter, give Obama's Whitehouse recipe a go, came out great when I brewed it (I did it AG rather than the extract in the recipe)
https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/blog/2012/09/01/ale-chief-white-house-beer-recipe
And yes, no need to boil honey, add it at the end.

Some of these brown ales and porters with a lot of brown malt have a distinctive flavour. Interesting that only some of the bottles were "nasty" though. Did you have any gushers?
US-05 is a slow starter in my experience, too, even with a rehydrated sample. I've never known it to stall, though.
That was a different fermentation from the previous yeasts I have used. Slow to start and then a medium constant pace that has taken to this morning to hit the target FG. As I said I thought it was going to stall around the 1.026 range but just plodded on. Going to dry hop in the next few days which will be a first for me.

Sorry to be a pain but I have brewed a few of Greg’s recipes and all very good. Very interested in trying out his NEIPA which I believe is in this book but for the life of me cannot find could anyone point me to the page number, honest I’m not blind

Sorry to be a pain but I have brewed a few of Greg’s recipes and all very good. Very interested in trying out his NEIPA which I believe is in this book but for the life of me cannot find could anyone point me to the page number, honest I’m not blind
ie
Just get some mixed citrus fruit juice from Tesco and wallop half a bottle of vodie in there. Much more satisfying. :laugh8:

Iv never made a NEIPA, althoigh I did turn out a sort of juicy IPA that wasnt far off, only lacked the thick haze and mouthfeel as I never had any oats in mine.

But from that, and the recioes I have seen, the one in GH book looks like it might underwhelm.... Interested to hear if anyone has made it

Mention of Oatmeal Stout has peaked my interest, could do with a stout, just reading the recipe in GH's book and noticed the 'brewers tip' on the page stating that you 'should be careful to avoid splashing whilst bottling this beer because the addition of oats makes the beer susceptible to going stale'. Is this right? Never heard that oats makes it more susceptible to that before?

Mention of Oatmeal Stout has peaked my interest, could do with a stout, just reading the recipe in GH's book and noticed the 'brewers tip' on the page stating that you 'should be careful to avoid splashing whilst bottling this beer because the addition of oats makes the beer susceptible to going stale'. Is this right? Never heard that oats makes it more susceptible to that before?
I'd have said being careful to avoid splashing at bottling is pretty good advice whatever you're brewing and regardless whether it has oats in or not, otherwise you're just inviting oxidation problems.

Having said that, I have a funny feeling there might be something in Scott Janish's book about oats and oxidation, though that will be in the context of NEIPAs and other hoppy IPAs.

I'd have said being careful to avoid splashing at bottling is pretty good advice whatever you're brewing and regardless whether it has oats in or not, otherwise you're just inviting oxidation problems.

Having said that, I have a funny feeling there might be something in Scott Janish's book about oats and oxidation, though that will be in the context of NEIPAs and other hoppy IPAs.

Yes, perhaps I should have made myself clearer, I obvs knew about not splashing about whilst bottling but I didn't know to be especially careful when you've used oats!

Recently started drinking Gregs Belgian Pale recipie and it's nice, but has that Belgian Twang of fruit to it, at first I was wondering if it was the dreaded TCP taste, but it doesn't seem to be getting worse, reminds me a bit of a Saison I brewed last year.

The American IPA is very good. I did happen to forget the 10 minute citra addition but too me this brew was very like the vocation life and death commercial beer. It's been in the bottle for 36 days and I did have one last night and it is definitely darker colour and less hop "pop", so oxidation definitely making its mark. However it's still very nice. Definitely one I will be doing again, possibly in the next few weeks as I currently have the Greg Hughes milk stout in the fermenter at the minute.

I had my first bottle of Winter Warmer last night, for quality control purposes, it has only been in the bottle two weeks and it's not winter yet. I brewed it with brown sugar rather than honey and Fuggles instead of Progress hops, because that's what I had.
I think it is going to be a great beer.

The American IPA is very good. I did happen to forget the 10 minute citra addition but too me this brew was very like the vocation life and death commercial beer. It's been in the bottle for 36 days and I did have one last night and it is definitely darker colour and less hop "pop", so oxidation definitely making its mark. However it's still very nice. Definitely one I will be doing again, possibly in the next few weeks as I currently have the Greg Hughes milk stout in the fermenter at the minute.
I have the American ipa in the fermenter at the min as well with voss and the sample was very like a hazy pale ? Was yours the same ?

I have the American ipa in the fermenter at the min as well with voss and the sample was very like a hazy pale ? Was yours the same ?
Mine was more a west coast IPA due to the bitterness. Was quite bitter but just right for me but still had the amazing citrus aromas from the dry hopping. After this time is is almost clear but has taken on an amber hue now probably due to oxidation.

Latest posts

Back