Greg Hughes recipes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
His Mexican Cerveza recipe is a good base but get rid of the Crystal hops. Keep the Northern Brewer for the main bittering hop, using enough to get to 18 IBU and then add 50-60g of Wai-Iti in the last ten minutes to add the remaining 5 IBU's. Wai-iti will deliver a subtle hint of lime in both aroma and flavour....saves sticking a wedge of lime down the neck of the bottle!!!

His Kolsch is an excellent recipe....I've brewed it twice with excellent results.

These are the only two I've brewed verbatim out of the book (I did the Mexican as per the book before adding my own twist to it) but many of the other recipes have formed the basis or inspiration for some of my own successful recipes.

His Mexican Cerveza recipe is a good base but get rid of the Crystal hops. Keep the Northern Brewer for the main bittering hop, using enough to get to 18 IBU and then add 50-60g of Wai-Iti in the last ten minutes to add the remaining 5 IBU's. Wai-iti will deliver a subtle hint of lime in both aroma and flavour....saves sticking a wedge of lime down the neck of the bottle!!!

His Kolsch is an excellent recipe....I've brewed it twice with excellent results.

These are the only two I've brewed verbatim out of the book (I did the Mexican as per the book before adding my own twist to it) but many of the other recipes have formed the basis or inspiration for some of my own successful recipes.

I had considered Wa-Iti recently as I was looking for a hop bill. Have gone with Saaz and the Mexican cerveza grain bill, will let you know how that come out but that lime flavour that Wa iti and I think motueka is meant to have appeals to me for a lager.

I have the book but have only tried two recipes:
Tin Miners Ale - Was not impressed when I tried the first bottle (two weeks conditioning) as it was quite bland. I sort of forgot about it for a couple of months and tried it again and it had changed into a very nice beer. It is now one of my regular brews but I do give it two months conditioning.

Irish Red Ale - this is very nice but is lacking in one department - its not red! The best you could say is its a tawny brown. Very nice ale though and I have some ready for drinking at the moment.

Have just made up a starter for his English IPA recipe, slight change to MO for the base malt and WLP005 for the yeast, otherwise the same but scaled down to a 10L batch, this is my first attempt at GH recipe and may be the base of some IPA development

I have the book but have only tried two recipes:
Tin Miners Ale - Was not impressed when I tried the first bottle (two weeks conditioning) as it was quite bland. I sort of forgot about it for a couple of months and tried it again and it had changed into a very nice beer. It is now one of my regular brews but I do give it two months conditioning.

Irish Red Ale - this is very nice but is lacking in one department - its not red! The best you could say is its a tawny brown. Very nice ale though and I have some ready for drinking at the moment.

Interesting about the tin miners ale, I found it a bit too sweet and fruity with the bramling cross. Maybe it just needs a little longer!

Well, I have only been brewing AG for about 9 months. All brews from this book at the moment. Purchased a Hokum Stomp recipe kit from MaltMlller to be brewed in a few weeks. Greg's that I have done are American IPA x2 loved them. Amarillo single hop x2 were the best. Cascade single hop x1 also nice. Honey Ale still conditioning in a keg, but a bottle tasted promising. Just fermenting a Summer Ale, but comments on here are worrying me. Did the London Ale and was not that good for me.... Oh and 2x Harvest pale ale, loved those...... Honey Porter and Black IPA next.....

Folks.
Thinking of buying the Greg Hughes book, but as far as I can see there's two versions of it with the same title. Covers as below. One costs over twice as much as the other and some time ago that's the version I borrowed from the local library.
Is there a difference?

1594838073151.png

1594838160004.png

Folks.
Thinking of buying the Greg Hughes book, but as far as I can see there's two versions of it with the same title. Covers as below. One costs over twice as much as the other and some time ago that's the version I borrowed from the local library.
Is there a difference?

View attachment 29338

View attachment 29339
Terry I have the bottom one and can scan any recipes over to you if it doesn't infringe any forum rules and regs.

Folks.
Is there a difference?

View attachment 29338

View attachment 29339
The top one is a newer edition and has some new recipes

Folks.
Is there a difference?
I have the latest edition, there is no preface to tell you what changes have been made unfortunately

There is a third version floating around with a beer bottle.
It's an American printing.
Send to be the same recipes but with dual measures, litres & gallons.
There are a couple of malt substitutes to American malts but it's easily substituted back to a UK version

Attachments

• 20200715_195305.jpg
    20200715_195305.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 91
Has anybody tried the Czech Pilsner recipe? I am tempted, the only thing holding me back is the thought of tying up a brew fridge for a couple of months

Has anybody tried the Czech Pilsner recipe? I am tempted, the only thing holding me back is the thought of tying up a brew fridge for a couple of months
I did a variation of it with the ingredients I had a couple of months ago. It’s probably the least favourite lager I’ve done, turned out tasting a bit like a generic lager. I much preferred the Vienna Lager and Mexican Cerveza

The best ones for me were cascade single hop, American ipa, and Amarillo single hop. All came out great.

ESB didn’t but I never have much success with English ales it seems. It just lacked something. As did my goldings single hop.

Was planning to try the dubble and summer ale but not so sure now after reading thread.

The Cornish ale and the harvest ale look interestIng and may give the Mexican cerveza a go as a first larger.

Oatmeal Stout was Just ok.

I did a variation of it with the ingredients I had a couple of months ago. It’s probably the least favourite lager I’ve done, turned out tasting a bit like a generic lager. I much preferred the Vienna Lager and Mexican Cerveza
Thanks, I'll give it a miss for now then, want to make a decent lager for the wife at some point

Back