Greg Hughes recipes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The spring ale is lovely, one of the best beers I have brewed, and the milds are very good too, All a matter of what you like i think but generally they are good recipes. The patersbiere is lovely, crystal clear and carbonate high so you have lovely bubbles

Seeing Only good things and a lot of love for the patersbier! Might have to give it a go

Thanks, I'll give it a miss for now then, want to make a decent lager for the wife at some point
I'm not a lager drinker but I did the Czech Pilsner for those in my household who like lager* and they all liked it.

*That was mostly my daughter, but a few years later she has learnt to appreciate IPAs, Bitters and Pale Ales

I am planning to do the Wheat beer in a couple of weeks, then I’ll be doing he English Barley wine ready for Christmas.
Those will be my first recipes from the book.

I'm not a lager drinker but I did the Czech Pilsner for those in my household who like lager* and they all liked it.

*That was mostly my daughter, but a few years later she has learnt to appreciate IPAs, Bitters and Pale Ales
Yeh she may well appreciate the Czech, I have tried to get her onto "proper" beer believe me, even tried her on the Blonde summer ales but she won't actually drink any of it

I would be interested in your take on the Roggenbier. Am intrigued by this recipe - I’m a big fan of wheat beer style yeast esters, so would love to try this with rye.

jx

Heres a pic of a Roggenbier I am currently enjoying. As far as a review goes I definitely think this one needs another week or two to flourish, the dark flavours are sort of being overpowered by the fact they havent mellowed out fully yet. That wheat beer ester thing is present, but I would probably ferment slightly higher (than whatever the recipe told me, cant remember) if I did it again to encourage the banana which I like.

That said, despite the poor head on show, which is a shame as that would have been sexy AF, it is nicely carbed and pretty clear which hopefully you can see.
IMG-20200717-WA0011.jpeg

I did it too, turned out a tad too dry but all in all worth doing again. As soon as temperatures dip to 10º again (no fridge).

I did it too, turned out a tad too dry but all in all worth doing again. As soon as temperatures dip to 10º again (no fridge).

Living in Prague I was of course interested in both the Czech and Bohemian pilsners but both seemed to me to produce more of a German pilsner than Czech (less malty flavour but stronger abv generally). Given I am not going to bugger about with a diacetyl rest I add some Melanoidin to get a rough approximation of the toasty flavour.

My preferred pilsner recipe now is to tone down the Hughes Imperial Pilsner to about 4.5-5% abv level and subbing Biscuit in the recipe for Melanoidin - 90% pilsner/6% carapils/4% melanoidin. For hops I add Sladek @60 and @30 and Saaz @15 and @switch off, every addition 20g for my 19L boil volume. Yeast is W34/70. Works for me and can recommend for someone looking for a recipe closer to a Czech pilsner.

I have done loads and in general I would say that for some reason the typical British beers in here (London Bitter, Irish Red, Tin Miners and ESB) all failed to make and maintain a head - maybe the low hop rates, maybe the lack of non fermentation or just something I did. However, the Smoked Porter and the dark Mild were so popular one drinker told me it was the rest beer he had tasted. Have done all the Smash ones and all good as long as you like the hop (EKG wasn't to my taste as a Smash and I don't like white wine so the Nelso Sauvin was again not a favourite but those are down to hop preferences). Dry Stout was excellent and love the Paters Beer. Kolsh good, Califonian common better, Bocks ok - I realised I don't like German style dark beers particularly. All in all it was my go to book when I started all grain, really informative and I still based my own recipes on the IBUs etc from his recipes

I was disappointed with the Patersbier , it's a few years since I brewed it so I can't remember why but I know I thought I won't bother with it again.

It's a VERY yeast driven beer. Brewed it twice, different yeast each time. First one was quite nice, refreshing and delicious (CML Belgian Ale). Second time the yeast used was way too phenolic (Mangrove Jacks M41 Belgian Ale) and the beer was frickin' rank, even after 12 months... Went down the toilet. So basically, if you use the wrong yeast, it's not good.. lol

That's pretty much the only true to recipe Hughe's brew I've done. Brewed a summer ale based on his but with the hops switched (was ok, but nothing stunning), but that's definitely it. I tend to use books for inspiration and a base to start from more often than not.

I forgot, I also brewed his wit, but ended up using CML kristalweissen yeast. Given the grain bill uses wheat malt though rather than flaked wheat, it was a better choice than a belgian wit yeast....Banana bomb.

Has anyone tried the single hop ale with EKG?

I’m going to try one, probably the Nelson or Amarillo first but I was curious about theEKG. It didn't strike me a as a hop you’d usually use in this way.

I’m going to try one, probably the Nelson or Amarillo first but I was curious about theEKG. It didn't strike me a as a hop you’d usually use in this way.
Its my next brew actually

The top one is a newer edition and has somee new recipes
Which don't really add much. The hibiscus and rose petal white IPA seems to be faulty as there are no roses in it. On the previous page, the Peach IPA doesn't have any peaches! If these have been corrected in later print runs I'd love to know how much he recommends.
He's also put all the same-beer-with-different-hops recipes together to leave room for some of the crazier styles coming out of Orangeland. Apart from that, it remains an excellent book. If you can get a copy of the earlier, cheaper edition at a fraction of the price, then snap it up.

Last edited:

Why not? Apart from the Carapils addition, you've almost got a recipe for Summer Lightning. In fact make the whole grain bill Maris Otter and you have got Summer Lightning.
(I reckon the stated malt bill should come out a bit over 1049, more like 1053 OG.)

Latest posts

Back