Greg Hughes recipes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried the single hop ale with EKG?

I’m going to try one, probably the Nelson or Amarillo first but I was curious about theEKG. It didn't strike me a as a hop you’d usually use in this way.

I’d say it’s a pretty popular / traditional hop to use on it’s own in a British/Kentish pale. I do one every year with my home grown Goldings. Think of something not too far off Summer Lightning.

ETA: like @An Ankoù said :laugh8:

I've made a good few of these recipes and they've all turned out OK except the black lager, which is disappointing. The Oktoberfestbier is good ale but heavier than the Oktoberfestbiers I remember drinking. The Munich Dunkel is a good one. Not too sure about the Vienna lager either.

Why not? Apart from the Carapils addition, you've almost got a recipe for Summer Lightning. In fact make the whole grain bill Maris Otter and you have got Summer Lightning.
(I reckon the stated malt bill should come out a bit over 1049, more like 1053 OG.)
I was surprised to see them used heavily in a pale ale. I always associated them with bitters.

everydays a school day 😀👨🏻‍🎓

I've made a good few of these recipes and they've all turned out OK except the black lager, which is disappointing. The Oktoberfestbier is good ale but heavier than the Oktoberfestbiers I remember drinking. The Munich Dunkel is a good one. Not too sure about the Vienna lager either.
Different strokes for different folks because the Vienna lager has turned into of my favourite beers I’ve made.

Different strokes for different folks because the Vienna lager has turned into of my favourite beers I’ve made.
Horses for courses then. I find it too sweet in spite of an FG of 1007. In my notes, I had resolved to try it again in the winter, but leave out the melanoidin malt. Once made a Vienna Red many many years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Must see if I can find my notes for that one.

Ive currently got a version of Vienna Red Lager lagering my recipe is
3000g Vienna malt
1000g Pilsner malt
1000g Red X
500g Light Munich malt
50g Black Malt
25g Styrian wolf 60m
15g Tettnang 15 m
W34/70 yeast
OG 1062
ABV 6.9% (I know that's far too strong but WTH.)

Horses for courses then. I find it too sweet in spite of an FG of 1007. In my notes, I had resolved to try it again in the winter, but leave out the melanoidin malt. Once made a Vienna Red many many years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Must see if I can find my notes for that one.
actually I’ve just checked my notes and I omitted the melandolin and the chocolate malt so it was just Vienna and dark Munich. That might explain it.

+1 for the Amarillo ale, its still conditioning, but tried a bottle last night and ended up having to go back for more, twice.
I have made a few out of his book. The Amarillo is by far my favourite....

There's a bit of caramalt or carapils in it, but essentially, yes. So many of you are saying the amarillo version is great that I think it's time to knock up a batch myself.
Me too, but as it's a bit summery sounding anyway I feel tempted to throw some elderflower in beside it. What's the views on this?

Me too, but as it's a bit summery sounding anyway I feel tempted to throw some elderflower in beside it. What's the views on this?
Interesting. I've put elderflower with the EKG version (Summer Lightning really) and it was very OK. Not tried it with Amarillo.

Interesting. I've put elderflower with the EKG version (Summer Lightning really) and it was very OK. Not tried it with Amarillo.
For stuff like this I really need to start getting into brewing smaller batches. It's hard to just experiment one whim when the result is 20 odd litres. I have two wee 5 litre fermenters soncould easily make a 10 litre batch and split it with elderflower in one and not the other.

Latest posts

Back