Greg Hughes recipes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've made a good few of these recipes and they've all turned out OK except the black lager, which is disappointing. The Oktoberfestbier is good ale but heavier than the Oktoberfestbiers I remember drinking. The Munich Dunkel is a good one. Not too sure about the Vienna lager either.
Interesting, I've just brewed the American Dark Lager which has turned out to be excellent (probably my best yet) and the Oktoberfest which has been disappointing... The other recipes I've tried have generally turned out very drinkable....

Note the error on page 132. I went through writing in all the recipes to percentages and the total grain weight. Change it to 4.1 like the beer next door.
It's full of errors and every recipe needs checking. The single hop ale section is more likely to give 4.9% abv, for example, than the 5.9% stated. Plus no peaches in the peach beer and no roses in the rose and hibiscus white IPA. haven't checked others as I work from an earlier edition, but it's a bit worrying.

It's full of errors and every recipe needs checking.

Back in the day publishers would provide errata for errors in published works. You’d think the DK.com website would be a good place for them to put something like this, but no. Perhaps, we should put together another thread for errata in the new version of the book, seeing how popular it is...
🤔

Back in the day publishers would provide errata for errors in published works. You’d think the DK.com website would be a good place for them to put something like this, but no. Perhaps, we should put together another thread for errata in the new version of the book, seeing how popular it is...
🤔
And perhaps CAMRA s Essential Home Brewing, too.

It's full of errors and every recipe needs checking. The single hop ale section is more likely to give 4.9% abv, for example, than the 5.9% stated. Plus no peaches in the peach beer and no roses in the rose and hibiscus white IPA. haven't checked others as I work from an earlier edition, but it's a bit worrying.
interesting - mine has the roses missing but peach is in there

The EKG one was the first one I tried when I switched to AG. It was ok but more than a bit underwhelming.
Which is odd as my favourite brew at the moment is Ron Pattinsons recipe for 1864 Lovibond XB pale ale. Which is an EKG SMASH but much more heavily hopped than the Hughes recipe. Very bitter but with heavenly floral aromas and flavour especially if drunk young. At it's best the first week after bottling.
I sometimes spice it up a bit by making the third hop addition some home-grown cascade or prima donna.
Only problem is that pub beer tastes so bland afterwards.

As you say- interesting. P133, it's definitely not there. They must be correcting each print run. I hop Greg looks at this forum occasionally.
Ah my bad . Its not there. I was looking at the Peach and Green Tea one

Thanks I’ll go through and make corrections.
I did notice the peach one though.

I also noticed that under “useful resources” at the back, they mention jimsbeerkit and homebrewtalk but not this site.

There's a bit of caramalt or carapils in it, but essentially, yes. So many of you are saying the amarillo version is great that I think it's time to knock up a batch myself.

Me too, It has been on my list since day one I bought the book (over three years ago) but somehow it always gets overlooked!
I am going to add a slight amount of Melanoidin to the mash though, at around 5%.

I had a look through the book yesterday as I've only done IPA/APA's out of it. I've ordered the grain and yeast to make a Bohemian Pilsner(already got the saaz hops) delivery scheduled for Wed 12th and will make it this weekend.

Just putting an order together, I’ll check it out tomorrow as it’s bank holiday so shouldn’t make a difference with shipping.

So far I’ve added the ingredients for:

-Irish Red Ale (I might try the CML Beior yeast instead of the recommended 1084, still undecided)

-American Pale ale, again I might swap out the yeast as I already have some M44 and some hornindial in the fridge

I have the ingredients already for an oatmeal stout to brew this week.

I was thinking of adding another recipe to the order as im already paying shipping.

I usually brew pale ales. I’m going to brew the stout and bottle for Christmas (if it lasts that long 🤪🍻), I’ve ordered another APA as they’re my favourite and I fancied trying something new with the Irish red ale.

I have seen that the tin miners ale gets some good reviews on this thread, The 60m IPA looks too much of a faff adding hops every 6 minutes.

Am I missing any hidden gems in the book?
Not bothered about brewing lagers/pilsners etc and I already have a stout ready to brew.

While I’ve brewed a fair few beers, I’ve not done many styles at all. Pale ales and bitters are all I’ve done.
NEIPAs are beyond my ability/confidence atm.
How hard are Belgian beers to brew?

I’m a bit like kid in a sweet shop with this book at the minute!

Back