Greg Hughes recipes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone done the oaked brown ale by the way? Ridiculously complex grain bill, but I'm going to have a go in the morning. Only got medium French oak chips rather than light US ones, but, hell, who's going to notice?
Greg Hughes is quickly becoming Mrs Beeton. It's a while since I've heard anyone else mentioned.
🕶

@An Ankoù I got to thinking about trying a recipe but this time without mutilating it, so I've ordered all the components from the Malt Miller for a Milk Stout...
Good luck with the Oaked Brown ale

I've done the Southern Brown Ale recipe from the GH book, with a couple of subs based on what I had in at the time and I think i brewed it to get a little higher ABV.

Probably my best brew yet, but still has a 'taste' to it as do all of my brews.

This was one of the brews I entered in to the forum August English Bitters Comp run by Hopsteep, which other than the high carbonation, he seemed very complimentary about.

Hi
Has anyone done the oaked brown ale by the way? Ridiculously complex grain bill
... not done that GH Oaked Brown Ale, but have brewed the Meantime London Porter based on the recipe provided in a Can You Brew It podcast episode (as there (link)) ... and based on that experience I'd say, when it comes to brown, malt-forward beers, complexity of grainbill can only add to the finished result athumb..

Cheers, PhilB

Well, for better or worse I put a batch on this morning. I normally brew 12 litres on the cooker, but scaled this down to 8 litres as my little cooler-box mash tun wouldn't contain enough grain for 12 litres. It looks promising, I must say. I'll keep you all informed.

AA
Do you use flavoured oak chips or plain? Also can I use wood from my apple tree or beech chips for my smoker?
No idea, CC. I happened to have ordered some medium toast French oak chips out of curiosity and never got round to using them The recipe calls for light smoked American! I think we're trying to extract the vanillin from oak to get the same kind of flavour noticeable in some of the Innis and Gunn beers, but that's just a guess. i've no idea whether other woods would work. Sorry.
I don't use "flavoured" oak chips. I think it's about trying to simulate barrel ageing.

No idea, CC. I happened to have ordered some medium toast French oak chips out of curiosity and never got round to using them The recipe calls for light smoked American! I think we're trying to extract the vanillin from oak to get the same kind of flavour noticeable in some of the Innis and Gunn beers, but that's just a guess. i've no idea whether other woods would work. Sorry.
I don't use "flavoured" oak chips. I think it's about trying to simulate barrel ageing.
Merci

I brewed the American Wheat beer and was gutted I didn’t add more hops, decent although underhopped imo
I made that a few weeks ago and dropped in 2kg of passion fruit puree. Turned out fantastic. Really strong aroma and taste. Have also done it with rasberries. Again, it made a decent drop; certainly a decent base to experiment with.

Yes, but not unusual for a wheat beer. The aroma, taste and mouthfeel were great. I’d make it again but as it turned out at about 6% and punchy I’ll bottle it in 330ml bottles next time.

Attachments

• A36CF71A-228C-428E-B887-B8214BFA5E3B.jpeg
    A36CF71A-228C-428E-B887-B8214BFA5E3B.jpeg
    24.2 KB · Views: 77
Back