Greg Hughes recipes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ordered grains from GEB for a half batch of the Brown Porter and a Half batch of the Yorkshire Bitter. Just need to find some child free time to tie up the kitchen hob for a few hours.

Thanks I'm using extract for now so I learn about the other processes - when I feel I'm comfortable with all that then I will go to all grain but not planning on that for quite a while yet - would be nice to make a flavoured Christmas ale or stout from all grain next year for instance.

It's a slippery slope - I moved from kits to extract as I was never really happy with the outcome with kit beers.

That’s exactly where I recommenced my brewing activities after 40 odd years this May and have half a dozen all non-kit extract/steeped grain brews plus a TC under my belt which have all turned out much better than I’d expected. Just received a new Brewzilla and ready for the next step :onechug:

I was actually just looking for somewhere to post about US-05 but as it's currently in a GH recipe..

24 hours in and no activity at all (airlock or hydrometer). Yeast was rehydrated. Worry or no worry?
No - 24 hours is the earliest you see much action with US 05 - perhaps one reason it is great for HB is that it will not kick off too soon, before the wort has cooled down fully. Tolerates high (centrally heated house) temps and gives a clean taste and good attenuation. Only downside is that it does not give as many esters as an english yeast. Many also report average flocculation.

No - 24 hours is the earliest you see much action with US 05 - perhaps one reason it is great for HB is that it will not kick off too soon, before the wort has cooled down fully. Tolerates high (centrally heated house) temps and gives a clean taste and good attenuation. Only downside is that it does not give as many esters as an english yeast. Many also report average flocculation.
Cheers. I have used it twice before but cant remember if I observed it taking this long or not. No matter. Will check again tomorrow

It's a slippery slope - I moved from kits to extract as I was never really happy with the outcome with kit beers. I bought a big stockpot and found this recipe for a clone of the Kernel's Double Citra IPA (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6q2GBHKZAxUX203SDhjeEJmZ2s/edit), and I was blown away by the result. I did a few more extract recipes but found it very limiting, there's only so much you can do with extract and steeped grains, and after only six months I splashed out on a single vessel all grain system. You'll be one of us soon enough!
Been flicking through looks like I might try the English IPA to start with as it has a steep stage and the ingredients seem easy enough to get hold of.

Been flicking through looks like I might try the English IPA to start with as it has a steep stage and the ingredients seem easy enough to get hold of.
I bottled the all grain version of this three days ago! It was beautiful straight from the FV, I'm looking forward to trying it when it's cleared and carbed up.

I have three bottles of this left, I have really enjoyed it and will be sad to drink the last one. I found it improved after a month or so in the bottle. My next batch I am going to swap the final EKG addition with Cascade for a bit of a change

I bottled the all grain version of this three days ago! It was beautiful straight from the FV, I'm looking forward to trying it when it's cleared and carbed up.
I compared the cost of the all grain and extract methods out of curiosity and all grain looks to be nearly £10 cheaper.

That might speed up my conversion to all grain next year if I have worked it out correctly.

Just had the first taste of GH American IPA. It's only been in the bottles a week and I couldn't help myself, it is goooooooooooooooooooooooooood!

Might be my fav brew yet.

I'm brewing the Imperial Stout today. The grain bill is probably about the limit of what my Bulldog Brewer can manage for a 19l brew. Just about to start chilling but colour-wise it looks good already.

Graham Hughes Oaked Brown Ale
Well, for better or worse I put a batch on this morning. I normally brew 12 litres on the cooker, but scaled this down to 8 litres as my little cooler-box mash tun wouldn't contain enough grain for 12 litres. It looks promising, I must say. I'll keep you all informed.

acheers.
My eight litres has been on the oak for half it's allotted time of two weeks. I was worried that as I had used French medium toast rather than American light toast, the oak flavour would be harsh. Not at all. I had a little taster and it's smooth and mellow. The oak has done lovely things to the brown ale and I'jm going to leave it on the chips for the full fortnight.
Hiughes recommends leaving this to mellow and mature for a number of months. My beer hasn't had the benefit of that yet, but at this stage I can highly recommend the recipe. It's going to be an amazing beer. Get some on!

Bottled the Amarillo Single Hop today. It's pretty hazy, as I had no protofloc when I made it and havent fined it either. It smelt nice but the taste was pretty bitter. Not too worried about that tbh, most of my brews have tasted bitter at this stage and usually calm down. That said, I did adjust the hop schedule as I had higher AA than recipe called for.

Knew there was something else.... Cali Common ingredients are on their way so that will be my next GH recipe, with the exception of the yeast. The reason I chose CC was that I have a CML Kentucky yeast to use so it was either Kolsch or CC

Done the YB a few times....it's all in the yeast I recon! Used S04 and Notty...I think for me the Notty was better. I would definitely try the Yorkshire liquid yeast.
Wyeast 1469 is my most used yeast, makes very good beer but it did seem quite neutral. Think the strain I was keeping going for about 3 years was getting tired as had a couple of brews where it didn't seem to perform as well. Trying other strains for now. That Yorkshire ale recipe is the basis for all my bitters and pales, just subbing the wheat for flaked barley.

Done the YB a few times....it's all in the yeast I recon! Used S04 and Notty...I think for me the Notty was better. I would definitely try the Yorkshire liquid yeast.
Hey Clint, my GH YB turned out closer to say John Smiths. It all got drunk but often was like a day out at York races! Perhaps was was thinking/expecting it was more a landlord. Perhaps it all went wrong!
Interested to hear how you would compare yours? Cheers Mike

Latest posts

Back