Grinds my gears

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For 'Craft Beer' to have any kind of meaning, it depends where in the world you're currently looking to have a pint. If you're in the UK a lot of people *think* it's shorthand for beer made by small brewers. That's not necessarily the case.

In the USA, 'Craft Beer' *is* shorthand for beer made by small brewers. Though a big brewer can own a share in a 'Craft Brewer', to still be called 'Craft', legally they cannot own over a certain percentage of the company (off the top of my head 40% or 60%).

25%, that's why Brewdog gave away 22.3% to TSG Consumer Partners. But the size thing is fairly meaningless as they keep increasing the size limit to accommodate Boston (Sam Adams) - from memory even Marston and Greene King would qualify as "small" brewers in the US definition even though they're the biggest trad brewers in the UK. There's arguably nothing so "craft" as cask ale - and as for coopers making Burton Unions... So arguably all the regional brewers are "craft" brewers by just about any definition, but they are the incumbents in the UK, whereas the US incumbents were big companies making mass-produced lager. The whole concept of "craft" doesn't really translate here, as it was a weapon in a different war, so it's perhaps inevitable that it's sort of come to mean something different.

Well..I didn't know that the Prince of Pop and unconvicted weirdo was into beer...

I think most people just misheard his lyrics

Because I Biab !! I biab, come one!!!

Are you okay? are you okay Kegging?

I need my Chiller!! Chiller tonight
No one is gonna help for the mash temp you need to strike!

can't think of any more, not that they were any good :oops:

I think most people just misheard his lyrics

Because I Biab !! I biab, come one!!!

Are you okay? are you okay Kegging?

I need my Chiller!! Chiller tonight
No one is gonna help for the mash temp you need to strike!

can't think of any more, not that they were any good :oops:
Beer, the two of us need look no more
We both found what we were looking for

In the USA, 'Craft Beer' *is* shorthand for beer made by small brewers. Though a big brewer can own a share in a 'Craft Brewer', to still be called 'Craft', legally they cannot own over a certain percentage of the company (off the top of my head 40% or 60%).
I think in the US, the term 'craft beer' has no federal / legal definition, so anyone can call a beer craft. There is a 'mark' awarded by an organisation (you know, like we have the red tractor mark, that sort of thing) that is for craft beer, but its name escapes me, and I don't think it is state wide.

I think in the US, the term 'craft beer' has no federal / legal definition, so anyone can call a beer craft. There is a 'mark' awarded by an organisation (you know, like we have the red tractor mark, that sort of thing) that is for craft beer, but its name escapes me, and I don't think it is state wide.
Ahh, my mistake. I didn't realise it was the Brewer's Association in the USA who defined 'craft ' there. I wonder if the term is protected though?

Latest posts

Back