Grizzly Notations Brew Days

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 23602

Landlord.
Reaction score
So now that I have a small grasp on what I'm doing, I will start adding to this.

Just placed an order for my first brew of 2020.

Going with a Passionfruit DIPA!

4.5 kg MJ LME
1 kg brewing sugar
1 kg lactose
500 g extra light spray malt
20 g simcoe hop
20 g centennial hop
20 g columbus hop
25 g new england yeast
50 ml MJ passion fruit extract
25 ml isomerised hop extract

20200108_195626.jpg

Passionfruit Milkshake DIPA 20L

4.5 kg mj lme
1 kg brewing sugar
1 kg lactose
25 g new england yeast

The extracts to be added 2 days before bottling.
50 ml mj passion fruit extract

The hops to be added 5 days before bottling.
20 g simcoe hop
20 g centennial hop
20 g columbus hop

12/01/2020
OG 1.100

Last edited:
Passionfruit Milkshake DIPA 20L

4.5 kg MJ LME
1 kg brewing sugar
1 kg lactose
25 g new england yeast

50 ml MJ passion fruit extract

The hops to be added 5 days before bottling.
20 g simcoe hop
20 g centennial hop
20 g columbus hop

12/01/2020
OG 1.100
That looks ace. I hope your yeast can cope with that gravity.

That looks ace. I hope your yeast can cope with that gravity.
Thanks! And same, really hope that yeast cuts it, would make it a fantastic beer. I am now worried that what was meant to be a 8.5% beer could now be 10%+ ABV.

Have you upped the hop additions to match the higher gravity? I love the concept but feel this will turn out way too sweet otherwise. Also a kg of Lactose will leave the FG very high.

Have you put your recipe into beersmith or brewer's friend to calculate OG, FG and IBU?

I'd be more inclined to use the Columbus earlier and put the Mosaic in late.

I'd be more inclined to use the Columbus earlier and put the Mosaic in late.
How much earlier would you suggest?

Have you put your recipe into beersmith or brewer's friend to calculate OG, FG and IBU?
I did try, but unfortunately there was no option from what I could see for the passion fruit extract or the isomerised hop extract, which is meant to bump up the IBU.

Just seen on the Geterbrewed site that the IBUs will be 100. Forget my comment on moving the hops. That is very bitter already. You'll maybe get away with a lot of Lactose. A kilo still feels like a lot. What FG did it calculate?

Why are you only putting the isomerised extract in two days from the end? This is there to replace the hops that would have been added during the boil if doing a full mash and would therefore normally go into the wort at the start of fermentation.

Why are you only putting the isomerised extract in two days from the end? This is there to replace the hops that would have been added during the boil if doing a full mash and would therefore normally go into the wort at the start of fermentation.
I'm only going by what others had done using this kit. Not something I was aware of. Should/could I add it now?

I'm only going by what others had done using this kit. Not something I was aware of. Should/could I add it now?
Actually don't worry, I was only going on what I've personally done when brewing the odd kit I've had that didn't have hopped wort but came with hop extract instead. With those the instructions have always said to lob it in at the beginning. But Google would suggest you can pretty much add whenever you like, even "to taste" prior to bottling: http://beersmith.com/blog/2016/08/31/using-hop-extracts-for-beer-brewing/

Latest posts

Back