Growing hops in a pot

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kybren

Reaction score
What size pots do people use for growing hops in? I got some plants that have started sprouting and wont last long in the small pots they arrived in.
All I can find is people recommending a 20" minimum diameter but nothing on how deep the pot should be. I was thinking of getting a couple of 42 ltr gorrila buckets as I can move them back in over winter.
Thankyou

I have two rhizomes in a builder's tub, which measures about 70cm x 38cm.

photo_2020-05-10_10-42-23.jpg

I'd say as big as you can get or fit in, including depth. I had hops off my potted prima Donna the first year but they got neglected and dried out the following 2 years, I'm trying to look after them this year but it's probably too hot for them up against the brick wall where they currently sit.
IMG_20200510_114423.jpg

Definitely go for the biggest pot you can. A 42ltr bucket sounds like a good bet but make sure you punch some holes in the bottom for drainage.

Thanks for the replies I found some big 75ltr tubs on ebay for £11 each I will see how sturdy they are when they arrive but sure they will do for a year or two while I get a spot in the garden organised. Yes I'll drill afew holes for drainage,
Thanks everyone

I'm trying to look after them this year but it's probably too hot for them up against the brick wall where they currently sit.
View attachment 25697

I started growing hops for the first time last year and had a Cascade plant in a large pot against a south facing wall. I thought I had a perfect spot for it but unfortunately the hot dry conditions led to a massive infestation of red spider mite which completely killed all the leaves and the hops on it before they were ready to harvestasad1
This year I have added a Fuggles plant and have them both in the ground climbing up some pea and bean nutting. Hoping for better results this year.

No need to move them in during winter - they'll be fine. I have fuggles and cascade in an old whisky barrel that has been sawn in half. Third season and they are looking good. This autumn I think I'll need to lift them and split the rhizome as I think they are now filling up the whole space.

Two weeks later and one bine has gone a bit mental, leaving the others far behind and reaching the top of the trellis. I've nipped the end off it now, and already new bines are shooting off from this one.

photo_2020-05-24_13-45-36.jpg

Back