Growing Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JhnMcK

Reaction score
Meantime Brewing Company were giving out these Hops In A Box things for free. So you grow your own hops, only seems small though. Anyway, my question is, is it easy to grow your own hops? I'll probably have to do some proper reading up on it.

It doesn't take a lot of effort, just be aware that they grow about 18ft high and spread underground as well. I train mine along a fence and sunk a bucket with the bottom cut out in the ground to restrict it's spread.

Do you know what variety they've given you?

I don't actually know what variety they are. As soon as I saw "free hops" I signed up for them. Never checked for the variety

The offer of free hops is pretty much only good for the home counties with the exception of one outlet in Bristol, and at the moment it is pick up only.

I've had a look on their facebook page, and it appears to be fuggle seeds that they are giving away

"In 1999 we started Hops in a Box and our hops are now dispatched nationwide for decoration."
http://www.hopsinabox.co.uk/

I dont suppose that means they cant be used, just that you may not 100% get the quality expected? Or perhaps the correct gender

It is not that difficult, no more difficult than having a vineyard. Of course with all the manual labor.

keith1664 said:
just be aware that they grow about 18ft high and spread underground as well.

With this in mind I went for a dwarf variety, Prima Donna, which I think was bred from WGV. At present it's 1 inch tall :)

I'll have to see if I actually get some through the post. It said it would post out if you were unable to pick them up, which I am. I live in West Yorkshire

They were more than happy to post out to me over in Ireland last year, fair douze.

They are Fuggles seedlings, and as seeds you won't know what you get for a couple of years. But in a 50/50, after a mild winter, I've statistically got about 8 female plants. Some evil white grub has done it's best to reduce that further.

All a bit of fun. You never know what sort of acid combination you're going to get!

Latest posts

Back