Gruit Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Druss

Mead Magician
Reaction score
After much consideration on the subject I decided to give it a go. 500g of dark Spraymalt, water to a gallon and a gram and a half of ale yeast per DJ. Simple as that, probably too good to be true though :?

1372074412_zps61809c9f.jpg

1372074409_zps3236fbb6.jpg

That's what I thought, I came across a recipe that just called for malt extract, water and yeast...thought it sounded a bit odd so I emailed the people who run the site and they assured me that it is a tried and tested recipe and that it should yield good results. Time will tell I suppose ;)

Couldn't get any simpler. I wonder how long a beer like this lasts given that hops is a preservative. Do you plan to drink it young or let it condition for a while? Carbonated or un-carbonated?

The absence of the preservative effect of the hops in a worry, hopefully the alcohol content will stop it from going stale too quickly. I plan to carbonate with carbonation drops (one and a half per 500ml bottle) and probably drink it young, if it goes south, it was pretty cheap to make, so I'll just have to put it down to experience. Hopefully it will be a good one though :)

Just tasted this and my first instinct was correct, it is FOUL, it failed to carbonate and tastes like mildly malt flavoured water. I have twenty odd bottles of this stuff that are probably destined for the sink, lesson learned I suppose :(

Latest posts

Back