Guinness Rye Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_walton

Reaction score
Had a bottle of this tonight and it's rather refreshing. Has anybody got a recipie or can help with one.

From the bottle:
5% ABV
Rye Malt
Mosaic and Cascade hops

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

https://mashing-in.com/tag/guinness-rye-pale-ale/

Can't find a recipe but the above link suggests it is 18 IBU which isn't particularly high, so you could probably get most of the bitterness from late hopping and maximise aroma and flavour. Most stuff I've read on rye suggests you don't want to go much higher than 15-20% of your grain bill as it gets very sticky. I used it for the first time last weekend in a BIAB, actually on its own as a mini mash and I can definitely see where that advice is coming from, it was like one lump of oily gloop after the mash.

Had a bottle of this tonight and it's rather refreshing. Has anybody got a recipie or can help with one.

From the bottle:
5% ABV
Rye Malt
Mosaic and Cascade hops

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I thought it was quite nice too. Would like to have a go if anyone can get a recipe for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having looked at some reviews I put this together;

This recipe assumes around 72% efficiency

Batch Size :23L
ABV: 5.1%
IBU: 18.2

4.8Kg pale malt
0.4kg Rye malt
0.1Kg Crystal Rye
0.1Kg Crystal 60

Mash @66°C for 60 mins

Hops

15g Mosaic 11.5 % AA. @ 30mins
15g Cascade 6.6 % AA. @ 10 mins
10g Cascade 6.6% AA @ 5 mins
15g Mosaic 11.5% AA @ 5 mins

Ferment with US-05 at the low end of its temp range so you get a clean ferment.A clean yeast will accentuate the rye.

It may be a little more aromatic in terms of hops, but that will fade as it conditions.

Back