Guns

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WHile I have no interest in guns or what they stand for, i know many love to do things like clay pigeon shooting ect..

if it is legal I see no reason why not to keep it myself just dont read it. Because if we pull it we could pull a lot of things.

Let's pull the Pizza thread, obesity through overeating them must cause as many deaths as guns 🤗🤗🤗
1636299343124.jpeg

The vote stands at 2 - 1 for the thread to stay, one moderator has not voted.
I, for one, appreciate the moderators on this. I can attest to seeing posts that could be considered as offensive to 'visitors' and it was only recently that i discovered the 'ignore' button. Yet, I still consider myself am interloper, because I'm live in the dirty, uncouth, and uneducated colonies. (That's sarcasm.)
My point is that even without the thread-ignore button, my brain was taught to ignore (maybe even evaluate) opinions not in line with mine. I was taught how to walk away from an unfortunate individual who wanted to kick sand on my pizza. And trust me, as an interloper, I've had plenty of reason to leave due to the way American politics and Americans in general are spoken of here. Yet I'm still here, hand me another red pill. wink...

I appreciate you folks. Even the obnoxious ones. :laugh8: When I walk into a thread whose topic goes down a dark rabbit hole, I just move on to the next one. God bless you folks. And... Keep it up moderators.

Now, can we all go to the pub & have a couple pints in the snug? acheers.

I used to love shooting when I was in cadets, even got the opportunity to represent the north Yorkshire cadet squadrons at the yearly Bisley and Pirbright competitions!
Target shooting with the Lee Enfield no.8 and the l98a2 took discipline and concentration to get a good grouping and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Didn't enjoy it so much when I joined up and had to use one for real. Never had the urge to pick up any form of firearm since...

Interesting thread.
Here in NZ it used to be everybody had a firearm of some description tucked into a cupboard or behind the seat of the ute. Just an accepted tool for rural pest control, livestock culling and recreational hunting, usually a .22, shotgun and a deer rifle, which was often a sporterised SMLE. Kids were trained by their dads or granddads in correct handling (normally from army experience), and gun crime was rare. Even when laws were tightened people gladly sat their licence, ensured everything was stored safely and complied with all the sensible requirements.

Recent events however have resulted in the government pursuing a 'buyback' of firearms from licensed shooters (in quotes because it's not really a buy back, rather a confiscation, with recompense). Of course the only ones that complied were the law abiding citizens, while the criminals and lunatics just ignored another law.

Sadly gun crime now seems rampant and calls to arm our police are growing...

In happier news. I still go duck shooting every May, can bag a rabbit whenever I want, and could shoot a deer within a half hr drive. I have 2 young daughters who have an air rifle each, and I have bought an old single shot bolt action. 22 I will train them with, both in safety and marksmanship. I really want to instill a sensible attitude towards firearms and remove the taboo and fear that seems common with the media's fearmongering and demonising of shooting as a hobby.

Calls to ban threads like this are part of the problem. As long as licensed people are carrying out their hobby legally and safely, and not posting inflammatory messages, I see no issue. I'm sure some people have lost family members to drunk drivers, boozy fights, domestic violence etc, but should we shut down home brewing threads as a consequence...? Seems just as silly an argument.

From Nathan,
a sensible firearms owner with children, pets and several hobbies

(unsure if I need penis extensions, you'd have to ask my wife)... 🤔 :D

I have been shooting the last 40 years , air rifle ,shot gun and rim fire (.17 )

I shoot for the pot and also enjoy target shooting ,and no penis extension needed :) For me ,i like to brew my own beer ,make my own chutneys ,bread etc and also shoot some game for the freezer ,as simple as that really .

Ooh hadn't considered a chutney. I have a bunch of duck breasts in the freezer, looking to make a duck and pork shoulder sausage. Would be lovely with home made bread and chutney with a nice home brew... athumb..

[Edit] On guns. I have a Ruger 10/22 workhorse, must have shot thousands of rabbits with it. An old Mossberg pump action 12 ga (for cleaning up rabbits in scrub/hill country and culling Canada geese). A brand new Beretta 12ga over/under for ducks and clays. A custom Mauser 7x57 for deer/chamois/thar. A sporterised .303 Enfield MkIII for pigs, plus the air rifles (BSA Meteor and a Czech one) and single shot .410 and .22s for the girls to learn on. Oh and a muzzle loading shotgun I haven't fired yet...

All sensible and fit for purpose (apart from the black powder curiosity). I take care of them much as I do for my tools, for that is what they are...

Last edited:
I got my first airgun aged 13, Dad taught me to shoot & im now 60, I have spent many years roughshooting & wildfowling & eat what i shoot. I was secretary of a local shooting club for 13 years. Its a legal sport & like it or not shooting & pest control is a necessary part of the countryside. I like guns from a technical point of view too. If you dont like it dont look at it.

Like someone else posted, I have a number off firearms and greatly enjoy working on them. I used to shoot a couple times a month until COVID ruined everything. I reload my own ammunition too as a hobby.

I had to explain to my wife once that it would be extremely costly to give up my guns. Told her I need something mechanical to tinker with that will fit in our small house. If I got rid of the guns we'd have to add a garage and also there would be the cost of the 1966 Chevy Chevelle Super Sport.

Crikey, all I did was put up a picture of what was the standard service weapon for the Army during the first part of my service. A weapon that the who used it remember fondly and which I was quite good with.

Like someone else posted, I have a number off firearms and greatly enjoy working on them. I used to shoot a couple times a month until COVID ruined everything. I reload my own ammunition too as a hobby.

I had to explain to my wife once that it would be extremely costly to give up my guns. Told her I need something mechanical to tinker with that will fit in our small house. If I got rid of the guns we'd have to add a garage and also there would be the cost of the 1966 Chevy Chevelle Super Sport.
Garner? Spent 15 years in Raleigh. Was raised outside Hendersonville, NC. Moved to Raleigh after Navy service & degree from UNCA. (Sold my restored 1965 Malibu SS before leaving the mtns). I miss NC.

Crikey, all I did was put up a picture of what was the standard service weapon for the Army during the first part of my service. A weapon that the who used it remember fondly and which I was quite good with.
Ha threads can have a habit of growing arms and legs and sodding off over the horizon!

All the slr's had gone when I joined. Not a single one in the armoury so never got a chance to try it out. We did have quite a collection of other 'liberated' pieces to shoot now and again.
The ak47 short carbine was hilarious. No real stock and a tiny barrel, made was what a horrendous assault rifle absolutely impossible to aim. Honestly if someone pulled one of those on you, you would be perfectly safe walking up to them and punching them.

I've used the SLR. Beautiful rifle to shoot, could hit a beer can at 100 yards with the aperture-post sights. It was sold here to the public when the NZ army moved to the Steyr (I won't say upgraded ;)) and was widely used for aerial deer culling operations, shooting from choppers...

Reliable, rugged, accurate and hard hitting, but bloody heavy to cart through the bush.

My cousin has a pistol license so we've shot Browning hi power 9mm and Glock 10mms on his range. Bloody terrifying things. Don't know how anyone could tuck one into their trousers and jump over car bonnets like you see on th'telly... :D

Ha threads can have a habit of growing arms and legs and sodding off over the horizon!

All the slr's had gone when I joined. Not a single one in the armoury so never got a chance to try it out. We did have quite a collection of other 'liberated' pieces to shoot now and again.
The ak47 short carbine was hilarious. No real stock and a tiny barrel, made was what a horrendous assault rifle absolutely impossible to aim. Honestly if someone pulled one of those on you, you would be perfectly safe walking up to them and punching them.
The standard AK-47 in 7.62 short was perfect for what it was meant to do. Reliable and easy to use and maintain and reasonably accurate out to 300m. Interestingly I had a play with a Finnish assault rife and it was essentially the Kalashnikov action but better engineered. A very nice piece of kit.

Latest posts

Back