Gushers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frasermitch

Reaction score
Hi all,
So its three weeks after i bottles my wilko best bitter kit, opened the bottle to taste an i had a gusher (tested 3 bottles). Problem is i know i overcarbed at 1 1/2 tsp per 300ml bottle. The beer tastes absolutely fine (actually really good) i was just wondering if this may be infected or is it just the idiotic overcarbonation. I did clean and sanattise the way i always do and never had these gushers.

Frasermitch said:
Hi all,
So its three weeks after i bottles my wilko best bitter kit, opened the bottle to taste an i had a gusher (tested 3 bottles). Problem is i know i overcarbed at 1 1/2 tsp per 300ml bottle. The beer tastes absolutely fine (actually really good) i was just wondering if this may be infected or is it just the idiotic overcarbonation. I did clean and sanattise the way i always do and never had these gushers.

If it tastes fine, then it's fine. Just over carbonated :)

Did you mean 1.5tsp per 300ml bottle? That's a fair whack of sugar lol. Wasn't sure if you meant you added one half spoon, or 1 1/2 spoon as in 1.5.

Appologies, 1.5 tsp per 500ml bottle. How should i save the beer?
I have read that chilling it takes the edge off the gush and that if it was infected you would just know instantly.

Frasermitch said:
Appologies, 1.5 tsp per 500ml bottle. How should i save the beer?
I have read that chilling it takes the edge off the gush and that if it was infected you would just know instantly.

Crikey. That's a lot for a bitter.

Chilling it down as low as possible will keep the carbonation minimal, but at those levels I don't think it will make much odds.

An infected beer will stand out a mile. You wouldn't drink it.

To be honest i think i may have been a bit ****** at bottling time. Lesson learned, business before beer. :nono:

Frasermitch said:
To be honest i think i may have been a bit ****** at bottling time. Lesson learned, business before beer. :nono:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

One of the dangers of the hobbie.
You could as advised chill them right down and then open straight over/into a 2 pint jug alow a few mins for it to settle/calm and then pour into a pint glass.

Andy

impressive carbonation :grin: not generally a huge problem though, deliberately did this with my wheat beer once, was crazy, had to eat your way to the beer :tongue: opening over a sink helps- and two glasses

Lol crazy amount of sugar but that's the best way to learn I suppose, you won't do that again, hopefully you can still get as much as possible from it though, I take it that high a carbonation will be lifting all the sed off the bottom to.

Latest posts

Back