Gushing bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamieGalea

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I ve made a batch like 3 months ago. All was fine but now I noticed the last few bottles left from that batch, when opening the bottle it gushes and does not stop foaming as if it is infected.
I would say as if infected because all the other 30 bottles or so did not gush and the last 4 opened that did gush taste perfectly fine.
The only thing that changed is temperature where i store them did go up but the mkre recent batch which is stored in the same room does not gush.

Anyone had similar experience or know anything about it?

Hi everyone,

I ve made a batch like 3 months ago. All was fine but now I noticed the last few bottles left from that batch, when opening the bottle it gushes and does not stop foaming as if it is infected.
I would say as if infected because all the other 30 bottles or so did not gush and the last 4 opened that did gush taste perfectly fine.
The only thing that changed is temperature where i store them did go up but the mkre recent batch which is stored in the same room does not gush.

Anyone had similar experience or know anything about it?
The usual suspects, over carbed or infection, I would put my money on the first option, the infection you would taste presuming you have enough left in the bottle.

I'm thinking along the lines of a diastaticus variety yeast kicking in at a certain temperature point. What yeast did you use? What did you brew previously in that fermenter?

With a contamination, you'll see CO2 production long before any off flavour reaches perceptible levels, if it does at all.

Due to the change in temperature it is most likely it's accelerated yeast autolysis releasing enzymes into the beer, reducing sugars for the surviving yeast to consume.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/amp/DQXAk4DwuE

Last edited:
I'm thinking along the lines of a diastaticus variety yeast kicking in at a certain temperature point. What yeast did you use? What did you brew previously in that fermenter?

Us 05 dry yeast.

Before this batch I fermented an amber ale.

With a contamination, you'll see CO2 production long before any off flavour reaches perceptible levels, if it does at all.

Due to the change in temperature it is most likely it's accelerated yeast autolysis releasing enzymes into the beer, reducing sugars for the surviving yeast to consume.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/amp/DQXAk4DwuE
I have had gushers, recently and agree that higher storage temperatures are a likely cause. A few days in the fridge does quell the effevescence on opening.

A similar thing has happened to me. I left two filled kegs in my garage (normally pretty cool) while I went on holiday for two and a half weeks. (all through the recent hot weather). When I returned last Saturday I found that one keg was a gusher while the other was fine. The gusher is a Kolsch brewed with CML Cali Common, while the good keg is a Boddies clone, brewed with the new GEB Big and Bold yeast (which is claimed to originate from Whitbread's brewery). If heat-provoked autolysis is the cause of the gusher (which I think it is - it tastes slightly of Marmite) then it is clear the two yeasts have reacted differently to the high temperatures. Neither keg had carbonation sugar added - they were both filled directly from pressure fermenters at 10psi. Both had some yeast in the bottom, as I do not cold crash and use dip tubes in my kegs.

Last edited:
I get this every year. I thought I'd got away with it this year but no, the last batch I brewed late May did this. I've still got beers from several batches before and they are fine.

I'm not sure exactly what it is but I do know it only happens when the temperature rises so generally I stop brewing in summer. Warm storage can amplify the problem, I usually store my bottles in the garage but that get way too hot in June/July/Aug so the beers come inside (those that won't fit in the fridge), it's only just cooling down enough now for them to go back out there.

Latest posts

Back