Guten XL PCB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andre Rung

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Guten XL single vessel and my PCB went dead. After a quick analysis, I found out that one of the two fuses has blown. Any chance that you know the specifications of this fuse? I can't read anything on the fuse itself.

Thanks in advance
André Rung

Hi Andre
I have the Klarstein version with the Guten V1.0 and my PCB went pop at the weekend too.
I also, traced a blown fuse (FU1), but when I slaved in a temporary replacement, there were more sparks.
So I am now looking for a replacement, I have contacted Klarstein for support and they have said they will know something within a few days,
Also, I see that Angel Homebrew do a replacement.

How did you get yours working again?
Cheers
Ash

Update from Klarstein is that they cannot supply a replacement PCB or a circuit diagram to allow me to troubleshoot.
So my lesson learnt is not to buy anything that can go wrong from a site with no or unknown support.
but they did ask if they could help with anything else...

Update from Klarstein is that they cannot supply a replacement PCB or a circuit diagram to allow me to troubleshoot.
So my lesson learnt is not to buy anything that can go wrong from a site with no or unknown support.
but they did ask if they could help with anything else...
Send Sandy a message and explain the problem, could be the retailer is pulling your plonker.

[email protected]

I've heard nothing yet from Sandy, however, I decided to order a replacement PCB from Angel Home Brew.
And what a good move that was, Paul was very helpful and got the parts shipped out straightaway.
The PCB was one version up, V2 instead of V1, but it is now installed and working perfectly.
Just brewed a revised Old Speckled Hen clone today.
Ten out ten to Angel Homebrew for service and support!

I've heard nothing yet from Sandy, however, I decided to order a replacement PCB from Angel Home Brew.
And what a good move that was, Paul was very helpful and got the parts shipped out straightaway.
The PCB was one version up, V2 instead of V1, but it is now installed and working perfectly.
Just brewed a revised Old Speckled Hen clone today.
Ten out ten to Angel Homebrew for service and support!
I believe it is illegal here to sell a product without carrying spares. So now do you have the warning chimes for each step? My 50 litre has the warning chimes my 40 litre hasn't, if they are interchangeable I will swap mine over.

The PCBs and Displays are almost identical physically - they are both the later version with 0.1 degrees steps etc.
I haven't seen any difference in functionality but have only used on a simple manual mash and boil. The chimes work at target temperature and at end of step. The photo shows the V1 board, the V2 is very similar with some very minor differences, such as fuse and capacitor changes in physical size (and maybe value).

Attachments

• Brewing PCB.jpg
    Brewing PCB.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 596
I will change my board over then, my last brew I came close to missing lifting out the grain basket, I usually have a timer to warn me when a step is finished, but prefer the marking time and manually pressing the next step button.

Hi Andre
I have the Klarstein version with the Guten V1.0 and my PCB went pop at the weekend too.
I also, traced a blown fuse (FU1), but when I slaved in a temporary replacement, there were more sparks.
So I am now looking for a replacement, I have contacted Klarstein for support and they have said they will know something within a few days,
Also, I see that Angel Homebrew do a replacement.

How did you get yours working again?
Cheers
Ash

Hi Loonytoone.
I had the same problema today. My FU1 blow away in the middle of a brew.
Did you find out the specs for that fuse? I want to replace mine.
Don't know how to get a full pcb replaced here in Brazil, where I live.

Thanks

I believe it is illegal here to sell a product without carrying spares. So now do you have the warning chimes for each step? My 50 litre has the warning chimes my 40 litre hasn't, if they are interchangeable I will swap mine over.
Don't quote me on this Foxy but I believe that the Uk are in the process of making it illegal to not sell parts for new electrical items as part of the "throw away society" to aid items not going into landfill and killing the world

@foxy
now on my laptop and can see the dates of posts, for some reason can't see post dates on my tablet or phone.

I see foxy had his post in 2019 so expect the updated board has been inserted.
It is very satisfying to repair things if you can.

@foxy
I've got the electronics from the guten 70 it does chime.
They are sitting on the shelf safely wrapped.
I took them out and fitted a smartpid

https://smartpid.com/products/
But pm me if you are interested in the Guten mobo and display. I'm in NZ

Up at this ridiculous hour as recovering from jetlag.
Thanks for that but mine blew up not long after, those first models were a nightmare, in fact I would get nightmares brew day eve. I often dreamed that it had gone from mash to boil, which it would do if not supervised. I have two for sale, a 70 litre and a 50 litre hoping to get $450 for the 70 and $290 for the 50. I am keeping my 60 and 40 litre.

002.JPG

Hi Loonytoone.

Thanks
Send an email to the address above and ask for a replacement board. Let me know how you go.

Hi Loonytoone.

Thanks
Hi Abellote
According to CHAL-TEC the fuse is a 250v 1Amp.

@foxy
I've got the electronics from the guten 70 it does chime.
They are sitting on the shelf safely wrapped.
I took them out and fitted a smartpid

https://smartpid.com/products/
But pm me if you are interested in the Guten mobo and display. I'm in NZ

Up at this ridiculous hour as recovering from jetlag.
If you still have these, I might be interested.

Back