Gypsum Additions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So the question is to all you folks who add gypsum (calcium sulphate) as part of your brewing water treatment regime, do you only use 'food grade' or 'brewing' gypsum or do some of you go and get a measure from that old bag of skimming plaster that you have in the shed, given that building plaster is also gypsum, perhaps just in another crystalline form?

Drywall or Gypsum Board or Plaster Board (or Gypsum Plaster in general) has some rather nasty adhesives mixed in with the gypsum.

Drywall or Gypsum Board or Plaster Board (or Gypsum Plaster in general) has some rather nasty adhesives mixed in with the gypsum.
But bagged skimming plaster is, in the UK, just gypsum as far as I am aware with no known toxicological hazards through ingestion although internal burns may occur as the dust hydrates if swallowed in sufficient quantity. However gypsum board products do contain fillers e.g small quantities of fibre glass.

It is not pure calcium sulphate, it has additives for bonding and strength plus I believe it has more sulphate.

For gypsum I bought food grade online. For calcium chloride I use an Aqua-Pak from B&M because it's pure anhydrous calcium chloride and you get a kilo for something like £1.79.

For gypsum I bought food grade online. For calcium chloride I use an Aqua-Pak from B&M because it's pure anhydrous calcium chloride and you get a kilo for something like £1.79.

Is this one of those humidity trap things?

Not sure I'd be comfortable using that as aren't they perfumed sometimes?

OK.
Well in spite of me often reading on here there is 'no such thing as a silly question', which is sometimes fiercely defended by the Forum mods, I am disappointed to find that all I have received back are mostly silly answers to what was, in my view, a serious question. One of you even thought that it was the craziest post he had seen, and a few more apparently agreed.
So to give you all a little background it will cost me upwards of £5 to buy a small pot of brewing gypsum inc p&p since I don't want to buy any more brewing supplies at present and don't have a LHBS close by, whereas I have access to free finishing plaster which as far as I am concerned is the same stuff, a hydrate of calcium sulphate, and even if it wasn't free I can buy the same stuff from Wilko for £2.50 for 1.5kg.
So I'm none the wiser really, I'll just have to make my own mind up what to do, although when it comes to crazy I have my own opinions when I read of people making beer from bird food, or putting peanut butter into beer. But hey ho we are all different.

Well said Terry imagine if you had not been a battle hardened forum warrior and a newbie it would probably have been the first and last post ever :confused.:

Latest posts

Back