Had a go at "Simple AG Recipe"

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

venkman100

Reaction score
] Having read the simple AG recipe thread. I thought lets have a go. I thought I would take lots of photo's to share but when you get involved it is so easy to forget so there are sadly very few. 1kg pale malt, 5g Cascade at the start of the boil, 10g at the end with quarter tablet of protafloc and 4g of Safeale s-04 yeast. Don't know if quarter tablet of protafloc was the right thing to do, thought a whole one was too much?
Post boil reading of 1048 and the smell was amazing. Here are a couple of photo's, including my snowglobe.

20191024_144624-jpg.21207

20191025_132242-jpg.21205

View attachment 21201

Attachments

• 20191025_132242.jpg
    20191025_132242.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 494
  • 20191024_144624.jpg
    20191024_144624.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 506
Last edited by a moderator:
General consensus with a 20-23 liter batch size brew is 1/2 a protofloc tablet at 10-15 mins before the end of the boil. Too much protofloc seems to create floating yeast clouds in your fermenter.

That will be just the job. Try to keep temperature in the 18-20 degree range and that'll be great. It reminds that smash beers are so good for giving you a taste of the constituent ingredients. I'll have to get one on soon.

Sounds like an enjoyable brew day!

Keep us updated on how you get on and what you think of the finished product when you come to drinking it

Been going a week. Just a few tiny bubbles now. Hope to bottle it in a weeks time. Then leave a few weeks, and then I will post my findings. Fingers crossed.....

Well, I bottled it yesterday. It tasted really nice. I first thought that it did not have a lot of flavour. Definitely enough, but not as much as I thought. After bottling there was about half a bottle left, so in a glass it went and onto the sofa to try my flat beer. Halfway through it, I realised that the flavour was just right and when carbonated and chilled it will be transformed... Just got to leave the rest alone for a few weeks now. So pleased, seems a million miles away from the kits I used to make. Although the latter ones around £23 were really good. Docklands Porter springs to mind.
Tomorrow is the dawn of a new age. First brew in my Robobrew. Going for Greg Hughes American IPA. Cleaned it all out yesterday, heaters and pump checked ok..... Won't be able to sleep tonight.

As The great sage Billy Connoly once said :
One less of them.....One more of us !

Enjoy !

20191116_183859.jpg
This is my effort, no finings. Just left it in the Demijohn to clear. Going to leave it for Xmas. My first Robobrew day yesterday got thwarted by life. Planned now for Monday. Fingers crossed. Others in brown bottles, did this in clear so I could keep a better eye on it..

Back