Half fill a cornie?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rento

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m putting on a coopers craft kit soon which comes out at about 9 ish litres. if I keg it in one of my 19 litre cornies is there anything I need to consider compared to filling full as I normally do?

I guess I’ll need to purge more to clear air, but will the 10 litres of head space cause an issue with force carbonation? My normal process is pressurise to 25ish psi, and then leave for a couple of weeks....but top up to 25 every few days until I’m happy with carbonation levels.

As I want to move to small batch BIAB soon, I’m wondering if I’m going to have issues and maybe get some baby 9l cornies to add to the family! I’m doing small batch so I can brew more often to learn the craft after 10 years and maybe 50+ kits and ‘pimps’ under my belt!

Thanks

R

No issue with a smaller volume of beer in the keg. If you carb on the side it will have a far larger surface area to beer ratio and will carb quicker. Even if you keep the keg standing it will no doubt carb fast for the same reason.

Latest posts

Back