Half opened packets of hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cestrian

Regular.
Reaction score
Is it just me or has any one else got half used packets of hops in the freezer that you know you will never use, but you know you will never throw away?

For me its Ekuanot, Eureka, Galena & Sorachi Ace.

Yeah good idea, me too with most hops, but these hops are my kryptonite.

Couple months ago I made a random brew, had various types of old grain and several types of hops that had been opened a while and mashed with all the random grain and added all the hops to the boil. End result turned out very nice

Use them as bittering hops.
I made 3 or 4 batches last year using galena as a bittering hop. They were so bad, I started checking all my brewing practices. took me a while to realise it was the galena. It has a really harsh bitterness imo.

Yep I think I have 20 g of about 10 different hops what can I do only throw them in some day and see what happens lol

Couple months ago I made a random brew, had various types of old grain and several types of hops that had been opened a while and mashed with all the random grain and added all the hops to the boil. End result turned out very nice
I have thought about throwing them all in one brew, but I expect it would be terrible and I don’t want to waste my time and the other ingredients.

Ekuanot... i made a beer last year with ekuanot and el dorado. It was fruity but had a strong flavour of green peppers, which is a characteristic of ekuanot. I couldn’t drink it. Gave it all away. My dad will drink any old ****. Green peppers is not a flavour that belongs in beer.

Eureka is dank. I like hops like simcoe and chinook, but this is not pleasant. Ruined a couple of beers with this hop.

sorachi ace is very lemony, but it also tastes of dill, which is a very odd combination. I tried it on its own and with cascade and chinook. It was all a bit strange. I don’t think it would go with any other hop. On its own, it’s ok, but a bit odd. there are too many other nice hops to brew with.

Very nice explanation of hop flavours
I'm trying to brew my own beers just off hop characteristics hope that spelling is right lol
I have a few favouredhoos due to there profiles I'm going to see if I can make a nice beer

I have a few mainly English hops and 50g of sazz which i bought 100g off to do a wit looks like another wit is coming soon, i mainly use most for bittering, don't know what folks think but i think user uppers can be great beers small stove tops racked in bottles stuck in a corner for weeks or months then you think wow thats good were's the recipe doh there ain't one but thats just lazy ass me athumb..

If they are really not to your taste them bin them! Would you keep an open jar of Marmite in the cupboard for years?

Otherwise I would try and design a beer where they can be a supporting hop.
For example, a mild background green pepper flavour could compliment a spicy hop? Maybe?

If you really don’t want to throw them away just do a single malt wort and split them equally for hop additions. See how it comes out. I am alway surprised how flavours change when blended with other hops. You could dump it on a yeast cake if you don’t want to waste new yeast.
I love a ‘Frankenstein’ brew. Even if it’s bad you can learn a lot.

We need a forum 'swap shop'. eg you post me X grams of what you have, and don't need, and I post you X grams of what you need, that I have.
Between us all we have loads of bits and bobs and for the price of a stamp each, we're sorted.
And no I'm not volunteering to co-ordinate :)

We need a forum 'swap shop'. eg you post me X grams of what you have, and don't need, and I post you X grams of what you need, that I have.
Between us all we have loads of bits and bobs and for the price of a stamp each, we're sorted.
And no I'm not volunteering to co-ordinate :)
That's a great idea! thanks for volunteering Chopps!

If they are really not to your taste them bin them! Would you keep an open jar of Marmite in the cupboard for years?

Otherwise I would try and design a beer where they can be a supporting hop.
For example, a mild background green pepper flavour could compliment a spicy hop? Maybe?

If you really don’t want to throw them away just do a single malt wort and split them equally for hop additions. See how it comes out. I am alway surprised how flavours change when blended with other hops. You could dump it on a yeast cake if you don’t want to waste new yeast.
I love a ‘Frankenstein’ brew. Even if it’s bad you can learn a lot.

That reminds me, we had a clear out of the kitchen cupboards recently and some of the spices and oxo cubes in there were over 15 years old. We've moved house twice in that time. :laugh8: So yeah, we probably have got half a jar of marmite in the cupboard that's been there for years.

I can't bring myself to throw these hops out either. I agree with your point about how flavours can change when blended with other hops. You've got me thinking, so I might give these another chance and see if I can find a combination that works for them.

I have thought about throwing them all in one brew, but I expect it would be terrible and I don’t want to waste my time and the other ingredients.

Ekuanot... i made a beer last year with ekuanot and el dorado. It was fruity but had a strong flavour of green peppers, which is a characteristic of ekuanot. I couldn’t drink it. Gave it all away. My dad will drink any old ****. Green peppers is not a flavour that belongs in beer.

Eureka is dank. I like hops like simcoe and chinook, but this is not pleasant. Ruined a couple of beers with this hop.

sorachi ace is very lemony, but it also tastes of dill, which is a very odd combination. I tried it on its own and with cascade and chinook. It was all a bit strange. I don’t think it would go with any other hop. On its own, it’s ok, but a bit odd. there are too many other nice hops to brew with.
Like your post. After reading this, discarded some ideas of hops combinations. And, probably, saved some batches.

You've got me thinking, so I might give these another chance and see if I can find a combination that works for them.

Maybe try to find some commercial examples of beers that use some of these hops, see if you like any and try for a clone-ish? For Ekuanot, for example, I really like Lupuloid (Beavertown) and get no over-bearing green pepper at all. May just be my taste buds though.

Back