Halfway House APA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metman79

Reaction score
Completed my first brew day using my brand spanking new 32L Brewzilla (formally known as Robobrew) the other day.

Created a recipe to try, dangerous I know, probably should have gone with something tried and tested but I quite like making up new beer recipes. Aiming for something very hop forward but with a smidgeon of bitterness still and wasn't aiming for a dry hop as I have to bottle and wanted to minimise oxidation. Wanted something as a 'Halfway House' between a west and an east coast IPA.

Anyway, everything went pretty well for my first session on the Brewzilla with no major problems and just a couple of learning points for next time.

Mash went well after balancing out the recirculation/drainage speed and I made sure that the pump arm was in the 90°C position, and not directly over the grain basket, to save me having to undo and twist around for the drain and sparge part.

Main issues were a hell of a hot break and had to severely beat down the foam with the mash paddle and scoop some foam out temporarily with my jug before she settled down after a few minutes - slight panic. Good job I was attentively watching it otherwise I could have had a nasty boil over. I think next time when I'm getting up to 96/97°C I'll cut the 2100W down to just the 1600W to approach the boil a little slower.

Also completely forgot to add my Irish moss towards the end of the boil, as I was so concentrated on getting the immersion cooler and whirlpool arm ready and the hops set up for the whirlpool. Hope it settles out okay. I know there's a lot of talk against using hop spiders for hop heavy brew,s but I didn't fancy tempting a blocked pump on my first brew so just went with it.

Recipe:
4kg Extra Pale Maris Otter
1kg of Caramalt
500g of Wheat malt

20L strike water with additional 8L sparge, needed to add an extra L towards the end of the boil.

Mash in 65°C 45mins, mash out 75°C 15mins

Boil 60mins
Hops 10g of Nugget @ 10mins into the boil
Then Whirlpool after at 80°C with 60g Citra, 60g Bru-1 and 50g Nugget

Ended up with 23L with OG of 1055, efficiency ~ 75%. Aiming for around 5.8% with full attenuation.

Started fermenting at 19°C with Verdant yeast, aim is to then up the temp to ~22/23°C later on Saturday and leave for ~4days. Then I was planning to cold crash, but wondered if anyone had any advice on how to go with this? Some reading material says to take it slow and reduce only by 1°C per day to not cold shock the yeast, whereas others suggest cold crash as low as you can go over 1-2days. The only thing that worries me with the cold crash is sucking air in through the airlock and potential oxidation.

I'm a newb to electric AG brewing (previously used a stove top kettle and a cool box) so will happily take constructive criticism on any of this, including my recipe, so please provide feedback if you fancy.

The DIY fermentation fridge seems to be keeping a really steady check on the temperature so far and smells absolutely, insanely delicious right now! Full on smack in the face with the hops. Will attach a couple of picks when I get a sec. Thanks for your interest!!

A few pics from Wednesday

Attachments

• VID-20210428-WA0003.mp4
    2.9 MB
  • 20210428_084038.jpg
    20210428_084038.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 20210428_094345.jpg
    20210428_094345.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210430_122006.jpg
    20210430_122006.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 46
Looks like u had a hassle free brew day maybe transfer to a 2nd fv and cold crash for a few days before bottling, kegging to help with clarity

Back