Hallertau in abundance

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Parsons

Reaction score
I'm still working through the hops given to me by the guy who sold me my grainfather. Next up is Hallertau of which I have 200g of pellets going out of date on 1st March 2020. All the hallertau recipes I have seen use a very small amount of this hop meaning I'll have to brew 3 or 4 batches of the stuff. Anyone got a good one that will help me avoid chucking away out of date hops?

Thanks in advance!

Hallertau hops are very often used in lagers. So a lager would be a good choice. If you dont have the ability to do this brew a pseudo lager or blonde ale (following a lager recipe but using a clean ale yeast like US-05). Hallertau hops usually have a low AA% so you should use quite a lot as a bittering addition. You could also dry hop your lager to use more

Hallertau hops are very often used in lagers. So a lager would be a good choice. If you dont have the ability to do this brew a pseudo lager or blonde ale (following a lager recipe but using a clean ale yeast like US-05). Hallertau hops usually have a low AA% so you should use quite a lot as a bittering addition. You could also dry hop your lager to use more

How much would you say is quite a lot

Well it depends on the AA% of the hops how high your bittering and the OG. But to give you an example I'm looking a a pilsner recipe using saaz. The saaz are 4.2% and the OG 1.048. The bittering hops are 46g plus two later additions of 19g. As mentioned you could chuck in a dry hop of say 50g and you've used 134g right there.

What's the AA% of your hallertau?

I'm still working through the hops given to me by the guy who sold me my grainfather. Next up is Hallertau of which I have 200g of pellets going out of date on 1st March 2020. All the hallertau recipes I have seen use a very small amount of this hop meaning I'll have to brew 3 or 4 batches of the stuff. Anyone got a good one that will help me avoid chucking away out of date hops?

Thanks in advance!
Hallertau is just a growing region. Which hops are they? Hallertau mittelfrüh, or hallertau blanc or hallertau hersbucker or hallertau tradition, or what?
Don't chuck them away for another couple of years. They'll be fine.

It doesn't say what hallertau it is unfortunately. Its from crossmyloof brew and just says hallertau on the pack then some quote about moustaches for some reason o_O

Its 5% AA

I'm not geared up to do lagers so I'll do some pseudo lager as you say.

Thanks as always for all the helpful advice everyone!!

I'd assumed it would be Mittelfrüh, but I checked their site and they have Hallertau, Hallertau Mittelfrüh, Hallertau Hersbrucker and Hallertau Blanc. I know that their Hallertau Blanc is just labelled "Blanc" when you get it.

I'd assumed it would be Mittelfrüh, but I checked their site and they have Hallertau, Hallertau Mittelfrüh, Hallertau Hersbrucker and Hallertau Blanc. I know that their Hallertau Blanc is just labelled "Blanc" when you get it.
Hallertau Mittelfruh is just labeled "Mittelfruh" from CML. Received some this week from them.

I've gone for
3kg wheat
2kg pilsner
25g Hallertau 30 mins boil
25g hallertau 15 mins stand
50g hallertau 10 day dry hop
30g Willamette 5 day dry hop

Using a wheat beer yeast

Latest posts

Back