Hambleton Bard to doscontinue s30 refills

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a keg valve with the floating pin that is designed to let you switch between 8g bulbs and S30 cylinders. When I tried injecting 8g bulbs the gas leaked past the 'O'-ring that seals the bulb. I tried three times. I moved the floating pin to a different S30 valve (brass) and the same thing happened. I recommend biting the bullet and buying a proper pin valve. I returned the dual-purpose one for a full refund. Another supplier told me he had given up selling the valves with floating pin because they were so unreliable. The bulb does not go far enough into the valve for the 'O'-ring to seal and all the gas escapes through the bulb holder.

I think this type may be on the newer Wilko keg with the 4" neck...my std bulb holder won't tighten enough to discharge the gas unless I jam some card above the bulb. I'm trying to find out if the King Keg pin valve 4" lid will fit it...

Here's a message from a Brewgas reseller on eBay.....................

This listing is for a genuine Brewgas L30 CO2 gas cylinder for adding carbon dioxide to your beer barrels and kegs fitted with a S30 gas injection valve. These cylinders contain an average of 240grams of food grade carbon dioxide. They are the direct replacement of the now no longer produced Hambleton Bard S30 cylinders. Brewgas have officially taken over the supply and filling of these cylinders. The cylinders are exactly the same ones as Hambleton Bard used just with a Brewgas label. They will come in their sealed bag to show they haven't been tampered with.

Please Note: This cylinder will only work with genuine S30 valves. If your valve has a pin sticking up in the centre of it it is not a proper S30 valve and this cylinder MUST NOT BE USED.

To use this cylinder to add gas to your beer barrel you simply screw onto the S30 valve (see above) and screw down until you hear a one second squirt of gas, then release. This carbon dioxide is essential to protect your beer by prevention of oxidisation and also to carbonate the beer and allow it to flow freely from the tap.

I list two price options and it is important to select the correct one from the drop down menu. If this is your first cylinder then select 'first cylinder'. If you have an empty Hambleton Bard S30 or Brewgas I30 Cylinder then please select 'exchange cylinder'. This will be charged at the refill rate, you then need to send the empty one to me - it is advisable to use a courier as this item is not accepted by Royal Mail. (I will advise of the address to send it - its NOT my home address) and upon receipt of it I will post out your new one. I can only accept back cylinders which carry the official label stating it is a genuine Hambleton Bard S30 cylinder or Brewgas cylinder. If your cylinder has any other names or says S20 then it cannot be exchanged and if it is sent to me I cannot return it to you.

Please be aware that these cylinders are now being filled and supplied by Brewgas as Hambleton Bard no longer deal in gas cylinders. Brewgas have Hambleton Bards approval and all cylinders supplied will now have the Brewgas name on them. I have had messages from customers saying that some brew shops are telling them that they have been discontinued and the only option is to use the little 8 gram gas bulbs. This is a lie. Shops make a lot more money out of the little bulbs so it is in their interest to push you onto them. You will not find this happens in a reputable brew shop.

If you have any questions please contact me on the eBay link.

Important. I strongly advise that you use a courier to deliver the empty cylinder to me (it should cost no more than the post), and NOT Royal Mail. If you are in Scotland or Ireland you must NOT send by Royal Mail as often they fly the mail around and these items are banned on flights.

To have this item sent to any other Scottish Postcode or to Ireland there is a £8.00 courier surcharge. One surcharge covers any number of cylinders.

Thank you for looking,

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
I bought one of these from the CO2 Supermarket because my local home brew shop closed down and the nearest CO2 was 35 miles away. Bought a spare Sodastream cylinder (from Argos) and have no further need for Hambleton Bard cylinder. This adaptor is a very good alternative
to the S30.
https://www.co2supermarket.co.uk/sodastream-hambleton-bard-s30-homebrew-keg-injector-p498.html
After our nearest Homebrew who closed down we could no longer buy or have refilled our usual Hambleton Bard S30 gas cylinders so started using Soda Stream cylinders using an adapter for our King Keg pressure barrels. it is easy to buy the exchange cylinders from Argos. However, it seems Soda Stream have now changed the shape of the top of their cylinders so the adapter no longer fits. How does anyone else solve this problem please?

I have also noticed that some of the Brewgas cylinders, which have replaced the Hambleton Bard cylinders, don't like some of the S 30 pin valves. With some, but not all pin valves, the gas flow is very feeble, rather than the jet of gas I was used to. Oddly, this also seems to use up a lot of gas, but I'm at a loss to understand why. Only 2 of my 5 S30 valves work properly with the new cylinders. Am I alone in having this problem?

Cliff W

On Wednesday this week my son Mike visited our local homebrew emporium in Cheddar with a couple of Hambleton Bard CO2 cylinders to exchange and was told HB has stopped doing them. Apparently they are not interested in getting the empty cylinders back and there is currently a nationwide shortage of full HB cylinders.

This is a bit of a blow for me as all my kegs are fitted out for these cylinders. The alternative is 8g soda syphon cartridges which I find are less controllable and more expensive. I have found a guy on ebay who will refill the HB cylinders for £9.90 but then you have to post him your empty. I am considering making up a refilling setup but this is a bit of an ar$e pain and would require the purchase of a large cylinder of CO2.

Has anyone else come across this problem and have a better solution?

Cheers!
Tim
Is legal to post compressed gas? just a question

Back