Hammer of Thor initial hydrometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weatherman

Reaction score
Morning all.

I have just started off a Bull dog hammer of Thor kit. It’s only my 4th brew so it’s all a bit new.
Followed the instructions, sealed it up and drew some off to get an OG reading.

the reading came back as 1082! Which would brew down to something akin to F1 racing fuel.

I checked the reading 30 mins later and then double checked with a second hydrometer.

This seems very high and can’t see it being correct. Any ideas? Maybe wait till tomorrow and test again and see where it settle too? 8A1236D3-9D06-4049-87A0-8D8B8EFC8909.jpeg

If the beer is supposed to be 6% ABV then that does seem high. Have you tested the hydrometer is correct - does it read 0 in plain water? Otherwise the most obvious explanations would be that that the wort hasn't been mixed sufficiently so is not homogeneous and your reading is not representative (did you draw the sample from the bottom of the fermenter?) or that you have diverged from the recipe e.g. by using extra sugar or less water.

The sample was drawn through the tap on the FV at the bottom
I stirred “vigorously” and there was quite a froth on the top.
Its currently sat at 24 degrees
I used 3 litre to dissolve the wort and then top up to 23 litre with filtered water.
I haven’t checked if my hydrometer reads 0 in water, but will now, thanks

It's unlikely to be 1.082, that would put final brew around 9% alcohol not the 6% advertised.

So first up check your hydrometer by putting it in plain water, should be around 1.000. Was the sample at around 20°C which is usually the temperature hydrometers are calibrated at? Finally had you stirred up the whole brew really well, if you've ever seen sugar solution added to water it doesn't mix straight away, you may have drawn off a sample that had a greater concentration of sugar / malt.

Definitely sterilise your mixing spoon, give it all another really good stir then take a sample from the top or put your (thoroughly sanitised) hydrometer into the fermenter and take another reading.

Thanks for the reply. It’s a Wort kit that doesn’t use extra sugar, don’t know if that will make a difference.

Rgr, all, will give it another stir. It’s ok to do that with the yeast in?

My hydrometer reads 0 (ish) in plain water.

Sterilised spoon and hydrometer. Gave it all a good stir and then tested by putting hydrometer in the FV. 1.048, the instructions suggested 1050. Drew some through the tap and it was the same suggesting homogeneity has now been achieved!

That should brew to a 5.5% plus all being well.

Many thanks for all the replies, very much appreciated

Matt

I just brewed this for my son as it was his chosen kit but I have to admit I didn't take an OG reading! I know my bad, but it is a pretty thick gloopy bag of syrup so I'd reckon it will be a case of layering/mixing of the wort for the sample you took.

EDIT - oops posted this while you were adding your note about the OG, good to hear it's worked out now as planned 😃

I just brewed this for my son as it was his chosen kit but I have to admit I didn't take an OG reading! I know my bad, but it is a pretty thick gloopy bag of syrup so I'd reckon it will be a case of layering/mixing of the wort for the sample you took.

EDIT - oops posted this while you were adding your note about the OG, good to hear it's worked out now as planned 😃
This is my only my 4th brew and each one I learn something new. I just wish I could learn something g without making a mistake first!

I did prefer the bag to tins though, much easier to get as much out as possible

I frequently get similar dodgey readings when taking a sample through a bottom tap on the FV. I always mix my kits with a paint mixer attached to an electric drill, so it's definitely mixed very well. I assume some thick malt extract gets trapped inside the tap tubes, just enough to give higher than expected readings.

In these cases, taking the sample from the top will almost always give a lower value.

Latest posts

Back