Hammer of Thor - Kegged?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kye

Reaction score
Anyone got experience kegging this kit beer? I'm assuming being a kit (and I think more of an ale type yeast given fermentation temp) it doesn't need to be lagered for 4 or more weeks in the same way an all grain lager would. I've been drinking IPA kits from Mangrove Jacks and others as soon as they're carbed from the keg and they've been great but not sure if this one will get better with conditioning. Just had a sample after 4 days in keg and just about carb'd, quite an ale-y taste I would say. Not bad but not great, and certainly not clear.

Any advice/experience to share?

Cheers

Hi,
I wouldn’t bother “lagering” an ale. But I would most certainly let the beer mature for at least three weeks. I usually let all my beers sit in the keg for a month. The flavours will noticeable improve. Your beer will still be very young and green at 4 days. I would leave it and let time do it’s magical work. 🍻

Hi,
I wouldn’t bother “lagering” an ale. But I would most certainly let the beer mature for at least three weeks. I usually let all my beers sit in the keg for a month. The flavours will noticeable improve. Your beer will still be very young and green at 4 days. I would leave it and let time do it’s magical work. 🍻
cheers. I think I will (maybe a sample a week just in case, you know...), its badged as lager but not sure technically a lager given the yeast. anyway sure it will be perfectly drinkable!

cheers. I think I will (maybe a sample a week just in case, you know...), its badged as lager but not sure technically a lager given the yeast. anyway sure it will be perfectly drinkable!
It’s always a good idea to sample a beer that you are new to brewing regularly. That way you get to know a lot about how to brew it again to perfection. Time cures many things when it comes to brewing though. Good luck with it 👍

Update after 12 days in the keg; carb'd up nicely, not quite clear yet but a lovely colour and the taste is great. Perfectly drinkable now and I've had a few this weekend. Hopefully it will keep getting better!

Attachments

• 20210213_183116.jpg
    20210213_183116.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 49
Im going to start it tomorrow if I get half a chance, how long did you have it in the FV for? Need to decide if Im going to buy another corny or risk the PB.....

Im going to start it tomorrow if I get half a chance, how long did you have it in the FV for? Need to decide if Im going to buy another corny or risk the PB.....
I had it in the fermentation fridge at 20c for 6 days, dry hopped it that day, then cold crashed to 4c on day 7 and kegged on day 8. the gravity went from 1.054, to 1.013 on day 6 (dry hop), to 1.009 on day 7 when i started the cold crash to end up at 5.9%

let us know how it goes, cheers!

I had it in the fermentation fridge at 20c for 6 days, dry hopped it that day, then cold crashed to 4c on day 7 and kegged on day 8. the gravity went from 1.054, to 1.013 on day 6 (dry hop), to 1.009 on day 7 when i started the cold crash to end up at 5.9%

let us know how it goes, cheers!

4 days in we’re already down to 1.009! I whisked the wort to oxygenate and added nutrient but it went off like a train with serious airlock activity after 2 hrs!

hop teabag in so will leave until next weekend to keg it

4 days in we’re already down to 1.009! I whisked the wort to oxygenate and added nutrient but it went off like a train with serious airlock activity after 2 hrs!

hop teabag in so will leave until next weekend to keg it
wow that's seriously quick. I reckon you'll be good to keg by Tuesday if you fancy a taste of it carbonated at the weekend!

I kegged this last sunday and the thor is definitely not clear and the hop taste matches a very strong lager. Does the clarity improve and the hop taste subside slightly? It’s not unpleasant but its stronger than expected. Carbing is light atm, may have to crank it up slightly.

this is mine after nearly 5 weeks in keg, as you can see its not clear. it's a nice drink but I'm struggling to call it a lager if honest, I'm sure the yeast has a lot to do with that

Attachments

• 20210305_212436.jpg
    20210305_212436.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 40
Well thats restraint-5 weeks! Glad to know I havent made a mess of it- the cloudiness seemed to come from the hop teabag.

Mine does taste like a lager in terms of the hop profile, but it is strong. I’ll leave it alone for a couple more weeks I think and see how it progresses!

ha yes restraint on this keg, my downfall is that I brewed the Verdant Even Sharks recipe and seem to have done a keg of 15 litres in 2.5 weeks!

tasting the thor again I suppose I would say it has lager taste, just very malty maybe.

Back