Hamstead Pilsen-Barr lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alice-edmund

Reaction score
I thought I'd try a 'different' kit to the usual ones from Wilko's etc and have had some good success with various Coopers' lagers.
Arrived by post in a good quality box and contained two off 1.5kg pouches, 20g of dry hops, some 6B years and some hop oil. I have followed the instructions to the letter - basically add everything at the start - and it's bubbling well after 2 days. The pouches squeezed out quite easily. I was a little surprised about adding hops at the start being more used to dry hopping ales at the end.
Initial SG was 1.042.
I've no idea who 'makes' the kits but it feels good to support a smaller business. More to follow. Maybe one day I'll get to the shop.
IMG_0366.jpeg

Last edited:
OK, it's been in the bottles a few weeks now and has cleared well, not too much sediment though quite dark. I am no connoisseur but it's perfectly drinkable and I'd be tempted to try again - but hops at the end this time. A lager fiend mate will be checking a few bottles soon.
The Coopers kits are great but I've bought two more kits from Hamstead on the back of this - keep small businesses alive; the Two Rabbits IPA which is bubbling now, and a Orange Wheat beer clone. Clearly I can do a taste comparison with the original on the latter.

Latest posts

Back